29 gallon starter kits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kiwi35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to buy a 29 gallon tank and I don't know if those starter kits sold at petstores and Walmart are worth it or if it is easier and cheaper to buy the parts separately since I assume the filters and heaters are inadequate. Anyone have any input on this? I also was looking for a cheap stand to hold it if anyone has any ideas on that.

Any solid table or a dresser would hold a tank. I have my 29 bow front tank on a table. Just make sure it's real wood and not pressboard. That you could get at a yardsale, thrift store, or on Craig's list and pay very little. Craig's list is also a good place to look for a used tank or stand.

I have gotten the kits before but always ended up getting a better filter or better lights. I won't get a kit again. Some pet stores, like petsmart, and local run stores will sell the tank and hood combos for a good price. Then you could get the rest. Also November and December are great times to get sales on this stuff.

I just bought a 10g one past night for shrimp and I actually really like it. I am replacing the lights though

i had got the marinland 29 gal led kit was not to bad but had to upgrade to a 75 my fish are beast

I noticed petsmart had a tank and hood combo for around 95, is this a good deal for a new tank? And I'm not really interested in used tanks, they jus make me nervous. What would be a good brand and size filter for a tank that size?

kiwi35 said:
I noticed petsmart had a tank and hood combo for around 95, is this a good deal for a new tank? And I'm not really interested in used tanks, they jus make me nervous. What would be a good brand and size filter for a tank that size?

Probably an aqueon kit. They are decent. I would go the Marineland route. They come with LED lights with a day and night mode. Aqueon and Marineland are both good. I just liked the fact that I got led lights.

kiwi35 said:
I'm looking to buy a 29 gallon tank and I don't know if those starter kits sold at petstores and Walmart are worth it or if it is easier and cheaper to buy the parts separately since I assume the filters and heaters are inadequate. Anyone have any input on this? I also was looking for a cheap stand to hold it if anyone has any ideas on that.

The kits are designed for just that... After some time you will find all the hardware is pretty much inadequate and you will want/need to upgrade. Save yourself the money and do it right the first time... Petco is having a $/g sale right now. Spend the money that you save on the tank and get a better heater, filter and lighting than what you would get in a kit.

Any suggestions as to the size/brand of filter, lighting and heater?

Actually, I really like the quietflow filters that come with the 29g starter kit. I had it until I upgraded to a 55, you may have better luck building everything yourself though, probably would end up costing the same as a kit that's not on sale. Buy a 29g ($29) a filter ($20-$40) and a lid light combo 24in ($20-$40) and a heater ($20) and you're all set, I built my own when I did my 20gallon and like what I put together more.

I like the Marineland Penguin Power Filters. I have a 350 on my 29 bow but that filter is bigger than I needed. You could get a 200 and would be fine. I always get more filter than I need and the difference in price was only $5. Amazon.com has a 350 for $30 and if you are a prime member then no shipping.

I have Aqueon for my heaters and never have had problems. They are great at keeping the temp right where I need it all the time. I think there is a chart to go by for the wattage you will need. I would think that a 100 watt or a 150 would be ok. Unless you live somewhere very cold and are trying to heat the water 30 or 40 degree difference then the room temp, you would have to go higher then.

I like the glass tops and light strips myself. All-Glass (Aqueon) are what most places sell for a good price. IMO, in no matter what hood you get, i would make sure that there is a piece of glass between the tank and the light. Not all "kits" have that kind of lighting. I find that the plastic piece that covers the light bulbs in the other kind of hoods (I think its the Aqueon kits but I'm not sure) falls a part or breaks down after a year or so.

Check around for prices. Amazon is really good at giving a low price for things and sales at the stores are often good when you can find what you want, if you can wait that is.

Just a note about the Aqueon HOBs if it happens to be one you look at... The pump sits inside your tank and therefore transfers all its heat into the water. That can be a problem for some people so keep it in mind.

Also a note about bio-wheel HOBs (Penguin, Emperor)... They can get noisy when the wheel starts to rattle. Also, if you ever want to install CO2 injection you will need to remove the wheel anyway.

You cannot go wrong with an AquaClear, and they are the most cost effective right out of the box.

I have an fluval c3 on my 20 long, installed it 4 days ago and im loving it so far, it has an adjustable flow and runs really silent, all you hear is water trickling. It was a little more expensive ($45) and was probably bigger then I needed (fpr 20-50 gallons) but for a 29 it would be a good choice or go c4 for extra filtration which is always good. I like all the separate compartments and the ability to customize the setup like taking out the carbon for example.

Also to add to the post above, the aqueons pump being inside doesnt matter that much and as long as you're not trying to keep goldfish or cold water mountain stream type fish it shouldn't effect you at all. Yes it does put a small amount of heat into your tank, but also gets dispersed bet quickly being right underneath the flow it creates. It doesn't produce more heat than the water releases due to ambient air temp unless there is a problem with the pump already

3rd edit: haha. To add I actually like the way the pump is set up on the quiet flow, makes cleaning or replacing the impeller really easy, you don't even have to take the water filled part off the tank

So now that I look at the options, is a 20 long much of a difference when it comes to stocking?

kiwi35 said:
So now that I look at the options, is a 20 long much of a difference when it comes to stocking?

BIG difference, being that a 20 long has a height of only 12 inches it really limits what you can put in them, but I think most people use them for a specific reason, I use mine for a plant tank and to grow out fry so it works awesome for me but you couldn't have say an angelfish in a 20long, half his body would stick out the top! But you may be able to get an angel in a 29gallon because of the footprint. On major thing when looking at stocking an aquarium is footprint, which is what I gave an example of earlier. Your best bet is to decide what fish you want to keep, find out their needs, then go buy the tank and accessories to fit those needs. Most people don't end up doing it that way but that's ideal haha, I didn't, that's why I have a 55g now when I started with a 29 haha

The more I look into the fish I might want the less I'm sure about what I actually want. I do like angels but am not set on them. The only current fish I have is a peppered cory housed all by his lonesome in a cycled 10 gallon. Ideally I'd like a small school of cories, 1 or 2 small groups of a schooling or semi schooling fish and a small centerpiece fish or two. I've kept bettas, guppies and platies before and would prefer not to have them and my local selection of fish is somewhat limited. Any suggestions for stocking my tank. I'm open to buying a 20 (long or tall) or a 29 gallon.

kiwi35 said:
The more I look into the fish I might want the less I'm sure about what I actually want. I do like angels but am not set on them. The only current fish I have is a peppered cory housed all by his lonesome in a cycled 10 gallon. Ideally I'd like a small school of cories, 1 or 2 small groups of a schooling or semi schooling fish and a small centerpiece fish or two. I've kept bettas, guppies and platies before and would prefer not to have them and my local selection of fish is somewhat limited. Any suggestions for stocking my tank. I'm open to buying a 20 (long or tall) or a 29 gallon.

It's always best to buy the largest tank you can or are willing to right off the bat, saves money from upgrading down the road. In a 29 gallon you could easily have a shoal of corys, your schooling fish, and a centerpiece fish. Look into gouramis yet? Kind of like angels, with different color patterns. Are you looking for larger type schooling fish or something like a group of neon tetras and a group of neon orange tetras?

I'm interested in the cherry barbs but 2 small schools of tetras or rasboras would be cool too. And I have seen gouramis but my options near me are pretty much limited to dwarfs and that's about it unfortunately

The marinleland biowheel kits I would say are the best on the market but if you want live plants you will need to upgrade your lights. The rest is actually not bad biowheel filters are some of the best HOB filters on the market IMO. Only a couple better the heater it comes with is actually for a 55 gallon tank so that's good. Just as mentioned you will probably need to upgrade the lights and hood.

I always forget about cherry barbs, I think they work. Maybe someone else can help more with your actual stocking list, my compatibility experience is limited to the fish I have now.

Sorry for the slight hijack, but are cherry barbs fin nippers? I have guppies and am looking for some tank mates eventually.

Back
Top Bottom