29g planted journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrudd013

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wasn't sure were to post this thread. But it's a planted tank so here sounds good. This guy will be a 29 gallon planted tank designed after a creek bank I came across while hiking in the woods behind my parents place. It'll be driftwood heavy with a few rock clusters and heavily planted. I've just finished the stand design and plan to drill the tank tomorrow. It'll have a 10 gallon sump.
As far as plants and fish here's what I've planned so far...
FISH:
10 x Rummynose tetra
4 x julii cory catfish
2 x german blue ram cichlids
Maybe a shrimp or two

PLANTS:
xmas moss
Dwarf baby tears
Oriental sword
Ludwigia needle leaf
Ludwigia peruensis
Hygrphilia
Cardinal plant
Water sprite
I apologize for the common names. Still learning the plants.
I'll be posting pictures over the next couple of days showing progress as well as the wood and rocks I plan to use. And of course any changing plans. I'm always up for suggestions and criticism. Thanks. Hope you all enjoy the thread as much as I will building the tank.

Sounds like a plan to me. Looking forward to see how it turns out. I'm going to have an empty 29 soon! Good luck with build :)

One day at a time

Following along.

Lighting??

Co2??

Ferts regime??

Out of curiosity :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lighting w be some brand of led. Havnt decided yet. Depends in my budget at that point. I may get a kit and build it. Im still researching co2 and all the different options I have on that. And still researching ferts. With the sump I wanna see how I can incorporate that with my fets regiments. Ill take any and all advice! Good questions thanks.

Just bare in mind dwarf baby tears is a very demanding plant. Very light thirsty so you will need a fixture that pumps out high PAR values.

With high light comes the need for additional co2. Pressurised is always best but DIY yeast bottles can be effective for your tank size. Obviously a lot lower cost too. Again the baby tears will do much better with this.

With higher lighting and co2 comes the need for a better fert package. Dry ferts are the only way to go. Much more efficient and last longer and works out cheaper than your seachem brands. Check out PPS pro or EI dosing at GLA.com. Have in mind hygrophilias hog potassium. They really fly through the stuff, so to avoid pinholes you'll need extra

Thanks Sk3lly. I have decided on pressurized co2 directed into the main chamber of the sump. Im still shopping around for the lighting. And ill defentally be lookin into the dry fert packages as well as the best placement. Thanks again. The adivce I'm gettin here in invaluable.

Here are some of the driftwood peices I may use. Sorry for the bad pics. Their in the second stage of my curing process.

Attachments

• 20140928_122946.jpg
    20140928_122946.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 66
Mid tank peice. This one has been drilled threw the natural holes to keep the natural look but have larger hiding places for fish.

Attachments

• 20140928_122933.jpg
    20140928_122933.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
This peice is larger and heavy. The first peice I posted is actually the end of this one I cut off. If I use this guy it will be vertical on the back if the tank. Ive hollowed it out some and it has holes drilled in the back for hiding places. It has a bend in it you cant see very well in the photo. I not sure if it will be placed w the root looking part at the top or along the substrait. Again ill figure that out in the scaping stage.

Attachments

• 20140928_123114.jpg
    20140928_123114.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 59
And heres a rock I have from one of my old cichlid tanks. I really like the cave in the back. If I use it ill probably have this side facing the back of the tank so youll see the sold side and the fish can hide in the back.

Attachments

• 20140928_123334.jpg
    20140928_123334.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 79
Heres a very quick hand drawn mockupof the sump just to give you all an idea and get some feedback. Again ive never built a freshwater tank w a sump. Sorry the picture's so light couldnt find a pin.

Attachments

• 20140928_140208.jpg
    20140928_140208.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 62
I had surgery monday and in the time ive been layed up I've been thinking about changing some things. Id like to know what you guys think. So im thinking about changing the 29 to a 40 breeder. Mainly for a bigger footprint and shorter depth. And changing the 10 gal sump to a 20 long. Everything else will stay the same. Opinions?

Yes go with the larger, shallower tank. You will get more out of your lighting. More room in the sump and you can expand the biological and mechanical filter sections. You could perhaps use an inline diffuser hooked up to the return pump.

Thats the idea. Been shopping around for all my co2 equipment. Just gotta figure out the best way to plumb it all. Cost just went up because of the bigger tank so may take me a while to replan everything.luckily I can still use everything ive bought so far.

Back
Top Bottom