29G reef pics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a Marineland Penguin 350B and 2 Maxi-Jet 1200's ... no skimmer YET!! I have a couple bids out for a Remora, hopefully I will win!

Im using a Coralife Super Skimmer (Needle rated for 150G) and really happy with it. Im also running a UV 24/7 to keep the water clean

ive been entertaining purchasing a uv filter how are they plumbed? assuming i dont have a wet/dry and are they worth the purchase basicly?

Running a 15 gallon sump/fuge combo, with a Coralife Superskimmer 65 'in-sump'. Return pump is a Mag 5, return split to feed the fuge. Couple of Maxijet powerheads in the main tank.

20 20, can u post a few pics of ur sump/fuge? i want to turn my old 20 to a sump/fuge but i still havn't figure out the design lol.

hacteck, some ppl think that having a UV in a small tank is not worth it. My lfs told me not to buy one but i bought one anyway. But, IMO:

9W Coralife Turbo Twist UV = $90
Maxijet (110GPH) = $15
Pumbling = $5
Crystal clear, parasites-free water = Price less :D

One draw back of a UV is that it depletes the pod population in ur tank but i don't really mind it since i don't have any fish that only feed only on pods :p

About plumbing the UV, if ur looking at buying one, i suggest the Coralife Turbo Twist UV. Melosu suggested this to me and he's also using one. It's cheap and the turbo twist design is very clever. Plumbing it is really easy (took me 10mins!). Instructions of how to plumb it comes in the box but i'll just give u an overview. The UV is HOB. u need to buy a seperate pump, submerge it in ur tank. I used a flexible tube to connect the pump to the UV intake tube. I also attached another flexible tube to the output tube of the UV to feed the output to my skimmer's diffuser box. HTH

thanks for the info , it would be going on a 55g tank, setup sounds fairly easy so i may get one. lately i havent been satisfied with the clarity of my tank water , po4 is 0.0 and my tank water still doesnt look crystal clear so i may deside to get one

Good luck!

The 9W coralife UV is enuf for ur 55G cuz it's rated for 125G lol. Just a suggestion. U can get other brand/model if u want :D

NIce tanks all. I used to have a 29g a long time ago. Same lights as 20 20!

Here's what it looked like when I first set it up:

2005-10-03sump7s.jpg

A lot of good info can be found at http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

This is the thread I used as the basic template for mine: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

So the returning pump feeds to the main and the fuge then the fuge overflows back to the pump area? I havn't figured out how the water from the sump get to the main tank

The return pump returns the water to the main tank, that part of the plumbing is cut off on the picture. Basically the return line is split, some of the water is sent to the fuge which overflows back into the return section of the sump, the rest of the water is sent back to the main tank. The ball valve on the line going to the fuge is to regulate the amount of water going to the fuge.

I've been trying to figure out how to get pictures on here with out making a post of my own. How do you get a picture on here as a reply? Thanks for the help!

Nevermind, I'm an idiot! I just had a brain fart. Here are some pictures of my 29 now and one of it about 2 months ago.

FishFrik said:
One draw back of a UV is that it depletes the pod population in ur tank but i don't really mind it since i don't have any fish that only feed only on pods :p

Now you don't :p

Tank is looking good...keep it up!

Approximate costs:

15 gallon tank $29
glass baffles $8
silicone $8
Superskimmer 65 $95
Mag 5 pump $50
PVC $20
Quietflo 600 overflow $45

Total: $255

Back