29g Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bumper55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First Post here! I'm excited to get real help aside from Store Clerks! Anyways, I've been in Freshwater for a few years now(even though I'm pretty young) and I felt I was ready to take on Saltwater. Being myself, I did loads of research, and I've started the tank, but there are only so many questions searching the Internet can solve. So here is my set up!

29g High
Just finished cycling today, it's been set up for about 3 weeks. I bought a bacteria supplement(reliable) suitable for 120 gallons a few days ago, and that really made it move! Here are the conditions:
0 Ammonia/0 Nitrite/20 Nitrate/8 pH/78Farenheit

20 lbs of Live Rock
4 inches of Live Sand(40 lbs)
Filter and Powerhead(Filter seeded with Used Filter Media)

I'm wondering when I can put fish in. I know you need to take it slow, an only one fish at a time, but I'm not sure of a final stock or order yet. This was my idea:

1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Chalk Basslet
1 Orange Stripe Pistol + 1 Steinitz Goby(prepaired)
1 Pearly Jawfish/1 Starry Blenny/1 Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish

My LFS has the Blenny, Pistol/Goby, Clown, and Basslet. I'm not sure which fish I should choose though. The Jawfish could fight with the Goby/Pistol, but the Blenny needs Seaweed/Algae, and the Pygmy Hawk(or Anthias) is really hard to find.

So, what fish, what order do they go in, and how long should I wait?

Add the basslet and clown last. Also, with the jawfish, make sure your tank is covered. The jawfish will jump out.

Put fish in soon. The bacteria you just put in will die if there isn't a biological load present for it to feed on and your tank will have to cycle again.

Good luck.

Add the basslet and clown last. Also, with the jawfish, make sure your tank is covered. The jawfish will jump out.

Put fish in soon. The bacteria you just put in will die if there isn't a biological load present for it to feed on and your tank will have to cycle again.

Good luck.

I knew two weeks was too long! I've been seeding it with fish food, and on Friday my LFS gets a new shipment. What fish should I add first? And you think I should do a Jawfish instead of the Blenny or Pygmy Hawk/Anthia? I didn't want to add the shrimp/goby first since I know that Inverts are fragile, but everything else seems too aggressive.

My first addition was a bonded pair of yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp. Never regretted the purchase. Love looking at the goby's pleasant frown and watching the shrimp dig out his burrows. They are a blast to watch. This was after 4 weeks of setting the tank up.

I have 40lbs of sand, around 40lbs of rock, a sicce voyager 3 PH, and a fluval heater in the tank. Now a couple months later I added small frags of alveopora(not reccomended), blastos, pulsing xenia, zoas, star polyps, orange ricordea and a rock that started with 5 rhodactis now 7 of them.

Filterless is not for everyone. I test water every 3 days nd do 10% water change weekly. Everything is happy and thriving

So the shrimp and goby can handle newer conditions? I have a few hermits and snails in now. I plan on getting a starry Blenny next. When should I put in the Shrimp and Goby?

As long as your parameters are stable they should be ok. Mine are completely happy. Only thing that has died has been a couple of snails and hermits that the pistol picked off, just added a serpent star the other day as well.

Hi. I don't think an anthias is a great idea for a tank that size. Something that swims less or likes to perch on rocks like the hawks and blennies would be better choices. You could get a pair of clowns if you liked.

Hi. I don't think an anthias is a great idea for a tank that size. Something that swims less or likes to perch on rocks like the hawks and blennies would be better choices. You could get a pair of clowns if you liked.

When I said the Anthias I meant the Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish. It is more closely related to Anthias but acts and looks like a
Hawkfish. I'm not sure if this made much of a difference, but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom