3 day cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eligri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

Started upp a new 130 gallon tank. Moved over filter media from well established 50 gallon tank, added a bag of Juwel BioBoost and a full dose of Easy-Life EasyStart bacteria. Also used plants from same 50 gallon tank.

Did a water test yesterday, showing 0ppm ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Put in 3 guppies and a 5" gibbiceps, and did another test today. Still showing 0 in all three.

Is this possible? Can I consider the tank cycled?

Cheers

There is no cycle if you swapped over all the seeded media. That is what is supposed to happen.

There is likely some NO3 there, the API kit usually gives some sort of false reading and is really only good for a "ballpark" figure.

Ahh, ok!

Thought there would atleast be a 1-2 week cycle.

At what rate can I start moving fish over? Got some gouramis that should be relocated.

Hello, if cycle has established then there should be at least some nitrates(NO3,5.0+). I would keep testing daily. I learned the hard way that even if you seed w/cycled media you can & probably will have some sort of ammonia or nitrite spike!!!! Hope thid helps!

Instant Tank Cycling

Hi!

Started upp a new 130 gallon tank. Moved over filter media from well established 50 gallon tank, added a bag of Juwel BioBoost and a full dose of Easy-Life EasyStart bacteria. Also used plants from same 50 gallon tank.

Did a water test yesterday, showing 0ppm ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Put in 3 guppies and a 5" gibbiceps, and did another test today. Still showing 0 in all three.

Is this possible? Can I consider the tank cycled?

Cheers

Hello el...

You really only needed to move the filter media to the new tank to instantly cycle it. You didn't need all the chemicals, just the water conditioner. I doubt the dissolved waste from a few, small fish would register in 130 gallons of water. So, it's not surprising the water chemistry is good. You can add more fish, but do it fairly slowly and test the water every day or two to make sure the bacteria is working.

B

Hello el...

You really only needed to move the filter media to the new tank to instantly cycle it. You didn't need all the chemicals, just the water conditioner. I doubt the dissolved waste from a few, small fish would register in 130 gallons of water. So, it's not surprising the water chemistry is good. You can add more fish, but do it fairly slowly and test the water every day or two to make sure the bacteria is working.

B

So no need to add more Easy-Life EasyStart when doing a waterchange in a few days?

Instant Tank Cycling

So no need to add more Easy-Life EasyStart when doing a waterchange in a few days?

el..

No need to use a bacteria starter. This stuff isn't that reliable. The bacteria is already in the new tank. Your new tank was instantly cycled when you introduced the bacteria in the media from the established tank. Now, you simply monitor the water chemistry every day or two to make sure the new bacteria is doing it's job of removing the ammonia and nitrite. If you do have a positive test, then remove and replace roughly a quarter of the water and replace it with treated tap water. This will get the water chemistry back into the safe zone for the fish and continue to grow the bacteria.

B

I'd add all your fish considering you upgraded your tank nearly 3x the size of your previous tank. Your seeded bacteria needs an ammonia source to grow. BB will die back if the ammonia source is less.

Back
Top Bottom