3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! Make sure to send me a link to your next reef! What size are you planning?

Prob a 10-20 gallon (I really want a purple firefish eventually :) )

I'll probably start it sometime this winter or maybe even later though (I can't wait to build this one for the foreseeable future... It's so fun!)

Par 38 is good, should grow LPS. Will work for both of your tanks, you can order the one OP has for $20 on dr. Fosters & smith for your 3g as the par will be overkill.

I'm looking into PAR leds too, they look pretty cool IMO plus they can grow lps

Par 38 is good, should grow LPS. Will work for both of your tanks, you can order the one OP has for $20 on dr. Fosters & smith for your 3g as the par will be overkill.

I couldn't find the light on dfs, are you sure it's $20? I found par38s for $100...

Prob a 10-20 gallon (I really want a purple firefish eventually :) )

I'll probably start it sometime this winter or maybe even later though (I can't wait to build this one for the foreseeable future... It's so fun!)

A 20 would be cool, i could really help you with that as i have a 20 reef aswell :). Or a 10 for that matter, love my purple firefish pair! So intresting a LOADs of personality! They have never left their part of the 37g and always hang out in the open doing mating dances and playing with each other.

Will post a pic of them for you somtime.

You dont need ether of those, stability is a BB supplement which if you already cycled is useless. You should be using RODI and all prime is is a conditioner used to eliminate a few chemicals in tap water, but isnt sutible for a reef or any saltwater tank for that matter. It gunks up the water and removes about a 1/10 of what needs to be removed. Not to mention using tap will add phosphate to you tank.

Just keep up the WCs and lower your lighting period to 8hrs a day.

The stock lights Will grow HA quickly once its in the tank ive found, but you can combat it as i mentioned above :)

They say it's still okay to use stability during watcher changes, and I don't think prime will hurt a reef aquarium or saltwater. I'm just throwing out some ideas to help him, because I went through the same thing in my biocube. And I've met a lot of reefers who use both of those. May be a personal preference but everyone has their own way!

They say it's still okay to use stability during watcher changes, and I don't think prime will hurt a reef aquarium or saltwater. I'm just throwing out some ideas to help him, because I went through the same thing in my biocube. And I've met a lot of reefers who use both of those. May be a personal preference but everyone has their own way!

As i said, stability doesnt help really as the BB added in it will just die because the BB has already colonized and increased or decreased to the the amount of ammonia being produced by the inhabitants, therefor becoming useless.

Prime infact, does gunk up the water. Theres no point in adding it unless your trying to rid the tank of ammonia or nitrite but if OP is reading 0 and using RODI than why bother to add it? Just more chemicals in the water...

A 20 would be cool, i could really help you with that as i have a 20 reef aswell :). Or a 10 for that matter, love my purple firefish pair! So intresting a LOADs of personality! They have never left their part of the 37g and always hang out in the open doing mating dances and playing with each other.

Will post a pic of them for you somtime.

I'd love to see them :)

Glad to hear different opinions... I think since I have some stability I might try it during WCs, but I'll hold off on the prime for now.

What is the name of the light? I could not finde par led

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Par38 is the one I'm asking about... Did you mean the par bulb was $20?

Ya is the par38 a bulb or the light it self

Oh no, the par 38 is a light, and theres a specific bulb that goes with it. Its like $90 new. The 7W 50/50 is $20 on DR. Fosters &Smith

Can you link me the par 38 light

That's fine what fixture would I use

New corals arrived!

Toucan zoas,
Mimosa zoas,
Sweet zoas,
WYSIWYG unidentified rainbow zoas,
Kenya tree,
Neon green toadstool

I'll post pics as soon as everybody settles in :) Can't wait to see them opened up

New corals arrived!

Toucan zoas,
Mimosa zoas,
Sweet zoas,
WYSIWYG unidentified rainbow zoas,
Kenya tree,
Neon green toadstool

I'll post pics as soon as everybody settles in :) Can't wait to see them opened up

You better! Hope they do well! Gonna frag some green and purple ricordeas from my 37g and put them in the 3g, also getting some green alien eye zoas this weekend and should be ordering some frozen frog eye, monster mash, and shiznits from zoanthid.com soon enough!

Have you seen the voodoo palys they have? Man, those would be awesome to have! Also the pegasus palys would be a wonder!

Back
Top Bottom