3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice pick ups dingus, i think I'll be down in Peoria in the next month or 2 to pick up a tank from pico, might have to check out that store

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Red, they look a bit more colorful with the new lights.

They're at the lowest setting (20%.) Also, they're not nearly as purple looking as they are through the camera.

Edit: They seem really nice - much higher color temp, very sleek, very little heat, and controllability.

I dimmed them very, very low, because I really want to take it slower than necessary. They actually go pretty dim which is nice, so I can work it up slowly.

Thanks Carey! Your pico was very nice, is it still running?

Also, I'm planning to start feeding my sps - what would be a good food to start out with?

I'm gonna try Acropower with Amino Acids.
As far as actual food, reef chili.

Please let me know how it goes, it looks good for being a cheaper option. Apparently amino acids can help growth more than actual foods(?)

I fed reef Roids for a bit. I saw no difference really in growth.

Nah, took down my pico awhile ago. I have enough tanks for now. lol
I would be careful adding too much as far as coral food, the smaller volume of water will get mucked up quicker as you I'm sure are aware. :)

A little trick I picked up from a reef club meeting was to raise strontium. Make sure you have a test kit but raise it to the max recommended levels and i bet you will see some rapid growth. I was dosing that for awhile and my corals went crazy with growth, specially my monti and my duncans. I have never mentioned this little trick for fear people would take it the wrong way and just destroy their tanks. lol But I feel you can handle it and wont just dump a ton of it in the tank. lol This little tidbit came from a speaker that manufactures oceans blend, which is a two part product, he swore by it so I gave it a try. Worked wonders.
if you do try it, let me know how it pans out for you. Once I get a tank back to coral happy Iwill do it again but for now I have bigger fish to fry such as massive algae and those darn aipastias. :-(

I'll definitely be careful with any new supplements/foods - the first thing I learned in reef keeping is don't overfeed :).
And thanks for the bit about strontium! I did some research and many people keep their tank at 8-9 ppm when 20 is a maximum in aquaria.

I found the oceans blend online, but the test kits are expensive at $50. If I find a cheaper test kit I'll try this, maybe with amino acids to see the results of each.
Good luck with your tanks, I hate algae - it dominated this tank for a month in the beginning.

Just added micro-colonies of green slimer, blue tenuis, and pink stylophora. The slimer apparently grows quite quickly(?)

Pics tonight!

Aww dingus! That's awesome. The slimer grows at a decent rate IME.
Wish I could have me some mini colonies.

Thanks mac! Come spring I'll be sending out frags :)
The stylo and tenuis are more like frags, but I'd say the slimer is a mini colony. Also, here are some pics of the acro, pocillopora, and staghorn(?) I added on Monday.

Sorry for the quality, the new lights look great in person and lackluster in photos.

Acro:

Green poccilopora:

Green staghorn... Still need an ID

Haven't found a better photography angle for the slimer yet:

Blue tenuis:
Looks bleached in photos, I'll experiment more with the lights for photos of this tank.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p422/dingusplease/Dingusplease%203g%20Pico%20Reef
/A99F3F29-C6A2-4BB9-8C7A-7F98EF4D729A_zps5ymcbz3r.jpg

Pink poccilopora:

The green stag is a monti digitata! Is that slimer super bleached or just the pic?

The green stag is a monti digitata! Is that slimer super bleached or just the pic?

Thanks for the ID on the digitata!

The slimer seems to be somewhat bleached, but the picture makes it way more white-looking. It's nicely green in most areas.

Back
Top Bottom