3-Gallon Mini Tank and Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pswood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm limited on space but have been thinking for a while about getting a 3-gallon mini Tank. Walmart has a 3-gallon round tank that would fit my available space. The fish I'm considering are a few Tetras (5-10, Neon, Glowlight and Cardinal), a couple African Dwarf Frogs, and a few ghost shrimp. Would those numbers be too high for such a small space?

Here's a picture of what I'm considering:
242948.jpg%22
242948.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Agree with Thom.

A 10 gallon kit wouldn't cost that much more, and you could do a school of 6 of one of the species you mentioned. A 3 gallon isn't suitable for any of those fish, unfortunately.

well maybe the ghost shrimp and the dwarf frog would fit in the 3 gallon. another bad problem with that is limited surface area.

i get so mad when i see a small aquarium with a picture of lots of fish on the box. Where i come from, that's plain called false advertisement.

Bear in mind that fish naturally swim back and forth, not so much up and down, especially fast, schooling species like the ones you've picked out. You need a tank that is longer, rather than tall, for them.

What would be a good fish(s) to put in such a size tank? I don't want to do Bettas or guppies. Is there anything else that would work well?

In a 3g there wouldn't be many other options. But you can have a cool biotope with plants, frog, snails and shrimp.

If you have a good lfs nearby you should go take a look. Species for nano tanks are sprouting up all the time. I saw some microrasboras that were only 1/2" long at my lfs last time I went. And that was about full grown. I like the idea of Red Cherry Shrimp. I raise them for my lfs and I have a 10 gallon tank dedicated to them. They are very interesting to watch, you wouldn't be bored with them. I wouldn't recommend having fish with them and they require *very* good water quality or they will die.

A pet African Dwarf Frog is also not a bad idea. They need to eat blood worms though, so you have to be dedicated in your feeding and clean up. A 3g tank won't really hold much...are you sure that's all you have room for?

Back
Top Bottom