3 gallon picotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

I am setting up a 3 gallon pico reef this winter break, and I don't know what to stock it with. I was thinking I'll just add a few zoas and mushrooms, and of course some snails and possibly shrimp. Right now I have the jbj picotope 3 gallon (planning on using stock lights for now, just to keep a few beginners corals. Might upgrade later), a 25w tetra submersible heater, azoo 160 powerhead, and an ac10 filter (no cartridge, but would it be ok to add a little chaeto if a modded it?) I also have a couple pounds of live sand and rock, some reef crystals, a hydrometer, and test kits. Does that sound ok for now? This is my first salt tank, just taking it slow to get everything right ;)
I'll post pics as soon as everything settles. Stay tuned!

Hi there! It is all so exciting, isn't it? I have been running my first nano 16 gallon for about a year and a half now. Everything is going really well. I don't have any experience with smaller nano tanks. I have been thinking of starting up a 5 gallon for my daughter, but I have been quite hesitant because of the wide fluctuations it might have. I'll be watching your progress with interest! Have you looked at nano-reef.com? They have some gorgeous tanks on there with specifics.

Thanks thetinyreef,

I have read a lot on nano-reefs.com, it's a great site.

Yes! I just spent a whole relaxing afternoon reading a reef thread by andrewkw on there. He has a 2 gallon pico that he has maintained for 3+ years. It's fascinating and inspiring!

Wow! What a great thread! Thanks so much for pointing it out. It looks amazing and I don't know how I haven't already found this. Can't wait to read it!

Oh sure! Happy that suggestion helped! It was really fun reading thru. The whole afternoon disappeared quickly.

Back
Top Bottom