3 weeks - no ammonia / nitrites / nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spm2600

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Fully stocked tank, started with the seven day dosage of seachem stability and filter media from cycled tank. Not once has ammonia alert shown me a rise, nor have test strips registered nitrites or nitrates. Water got cloudy first week then cleared up after a few days, last week water got cloudy again and has been much slower to clear. I've done approx 6 water changes all at ~33% and using seachem prime. Fish all seem happy and active... what gives!?

Fully stocked tank, started with the seven day dosage of seachem stability and filter media from cycled tank. Not once has ammonia alert shown me a rise, nor have test strips registered nitrites or nitrates. Water got cloudy first week then cleared up after a few days, last week water got cloudy again and has been much slower to clear. I've done approx 6 water changes all at ~33% and using seachem prime. Fish all seem happy and active... what gives!?

First things first... Ditch the test strips they are very unreliable and inaccurate. A liquid test kit by API, it's $30 and is much more accurate and lasts 80-120 tests.

That might give you some better clear readings. Putting filter media in from a cycled tank would definitely show some sort of a result.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

For what it's worth I used a test strip in my cycled tank and it shows about 20/30 nitrate so I know they work. I know prime can mess with readings but have given it more than 48 hours to work out of the water than test.

Hi spm.

It's refreshing to see such a responsible attitude towards your fish in cycle. I'm guessing your fish are pretty happy right now.

Since you haven't given us the tank size or stock I have to assume that it is not producing much nitrate at the moment. It is possible to have very low to 0 nitrates if you are changing a third of the tank water twice a week. Even more so if you keep live plant's.

I'd try to stop worrying about what gives and continue with your approach. In order to gain a truer reflection of your water parameters you will have to replace the strips with the liquid test kit.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for response, I'm hoping that is the case. Quick run down...

36g bowfront
fake plants, plastic decorations
2 angel fish
1 dwarf gourami
6 platy
4 cory cats

I've been procrastinating on liquid test due to $$, sadly I wish I knew about it before buying the 25 test strips for $10 less.

Back
Top Bottom