30 gallon sump in under a 72 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebradybunch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 72 gallon bowfront sitting on a standard bowfront stand. I want to upgrade my sump and build a sump/refrigium out of a 30 gallon aquarium. My question is has anyone put a 30 gallon in the bottom of this stand. It looks extremely tight with the support in the front and back. I know it will fit but I am not sure I can get it in the door and turn it.
Thanks and happy New Year.

it might be to small... the only option you might have is to drain your tank and put it in through the top of the stand :-( probably not what you wanted to hear, but... you can give it a shot

I had the 72g set up once. All I was able to fit was a 20g tall. Sump was on a small stand in the rear right side of the stand. UV mounted on the back wall.

I would consider removing the tacked in cross support piece from the stand. The horizontal one - front to rear. Drop the tank in and securely re-tack the support piece. Now, consider that once you get it against the wall and full of water - you can NEVER get the tank out again. Put it there and practice a few dry runs of maintenance things to make sure you got work space before you commit.

BTW, with the 20g tall I had, I could actually pour a bucket of water into it - and reach my habd to the bottom. If the 30g is taller with the same footprint, you won't be able to do that. Likely will NEVER be able to reach the bottom of the sump with your bare hand. Can always pump water into the sump from a bucket or can with a pump and hose though. HTH.

Was I clear as mud?? Starting to wonder...

I think I figured this out. I am going to use a 20 gallon long tank (30x12x12). There is a window behind the tank that runs almost to the floor. It looks like I can go out on the porch open the window and put the tank in thru the window. Is that creative enough?

That's pretty good...one thing on the window...direct sunlight can become a problem for a reef tank....just an FYI

Thanks for the info but I am ok. The window is on my covered porch on the north side of the house. It gets little to no sun on it.

Back
Top Bottom