300 gallon jump start cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busymom23

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a 300 gallon tank and plan on using media from my 55 to jump start a cycle. But I don't understand the process. Because the tank is empty, should I add food to the tank until I add fish? Should I still test the water? Any help is appreciated...

I had to cycle the hard way, but from what I understand, depending on the quality and quantity of your seeding material, it is possible to almost immediately cycle it. Maybe more realistically you might expect a few days to a week. Couldn't hurt to add some crushed fish food for nutrients and check the water parameters regularly. Since you are seeding, I guess you should hold off on any water changes until the bacteria have a chance to attach to surfaces within the aquarium. Maybe someone else has some insight into that.

I was going to use the 2 sponges from 2 hang on filters that came with my 55 gallon kit. Those Filters suck so I bought a canister filter for the 55, but left the sponges in so I could use them for seeding.

Back
Top Bottom