300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been lucky because I got to see such remarkable things underwater. Watching it in HDTV is great, but actually being there is a whole different thing. I think anyone who loves this hobby and is physically capable should go experience the real thing. Your appreciation will soar and you will become an environmentalist, or at least more sensitive to the oceans reefs.

The Cayman Wall is a pretty remarkable environment. It starts as shallow as 20' then it plunges pretty much vertical down to 6000' with just a few ledges, it then drops into the Cayman Trench where they test deep submersibles. Giant sponges hug the wall and you think you are the smallest thing there.

Last edited:
I have been lucky because I got to see such remarkable things underwater. Watching it in HDTV is great, but actually being there is a whole different thing. I think anyone who loves this hobby and is physically capable should go experience the real thing. Your appreciation will soar and you will become an environmentalist, or at least more sensitive to the oceans reefs.

Absolutely. I feel the same way for our rainforests also.

Although NOT a diver but as an cdvid snorkeler.,it really is mind boggling to see another world that you're not the apex predator In..., i find it totally fascinating to observe most of the tropical reef fish that we keep in our aquariums in their natural environment going about their business as usual.... It really changes your outlook on minimum tank sizes etc.... Thanks for the video

Yes Dary, that's what happened to me. I saw these tangs and triggers flying on the reef for miles, stopping to forage now and then. But I also saw fish that hung out in the same spot all the time. I guess it's what made me a tang police. My 300 gallon isn't really big enough IMO but its all I can support right now and my tangs have lived 10 years now. They seem pretty happy. My reef goes around a 90 degree corner, so they can't see the end of the tank from the opposite end. Maybe that helps. A big racetrack or cylindrical tank would be ideal.

Found one of my adult engineer gobies disorientated and looks like a head injury. I put him in isolation and hope he recovers.

He didn't make it. Hope it wasn't disease, haven't had any for years. This is the first fish I've lost in a long time. Rats.

It may have been first degree murder. Most foul.

Always look to the spouse or family member.

I got both of them already full grown when they out grew their last home. I was told they were a pair...but it turned out they weren't in the least interested in anything but threatening each other when it was feeding time. I have this on video and it will be submitted as evidence in the trial.

I got both of them already full grown when they out grew their last home. I was told they were a pair...but it turned out they weren't in the least interested in anything but threatening each other when it was feeding time. I have this on video and it will be submitted as evidence in the trial.

Sleep with one eye open Greg!

Wave some tartar sauce in front of the survivor and see if that doesn't get a confession outa him

Yeah, I was bummed when he died. I have no idea how old he was. His buddy is going strong, so who knows? Throwing out beautiful fish crushes me. I guess I am spoiled because he was the first death in many years.

Back
Top Bottom