3000 gph too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kungpaoshizi

Aquarium Advice Regular
heh
Just a thought... saw a sump that did 3000 gph, was like 40$..
Would there be ANY way to make this work?
I assume it's probably stupid loud...

depends on how big of a tank you have. also a 3000 gph pump like that runs about 400 Watts, that being said it would cost about $20 a month. where as a regular 800-900 gph pump only costs about $3-$5 a month to run, and you can make up for the lack of flow with Hydors.

saw a sump that did 3000 gph
Is that a sump or a pump? Not sure how 1 goes about rating a sump but...

What size tank is this for? In general, you want 5-10x the tanks water volume going thru the sump per hour, so if you have a 300-600g tank, your good to go.

Yep, 32 to 34 cent's a kilowatt hour. Our local geniuses de-regulated our power utilities with the logic being competition is good but neglected to realize Con Ed owns all of the power lines so they no longer produce power, they buy it and charge about $.13 per kilowatt, $.15 delivery charge per kilowatt and numerous taxes make up the rest. It's costing me about $100+ a month to run my 120, if it gets any higher I think I will have to convert it to a Discus tank or just break it down and sell it.

Its NY what do you expect. Wow, didnt know ConEd ran that state too, they are getting us good here in chicago. If customers complain then come the rolling blackouts. Sad how everything has to do with politics.

Ok getting back to a question on pumps :) I am doing a 36 gal (+-) tank and looking to do a sump/filter system with it. I have read so many different things on water turn over (10 to 20 x tank volume), what is it for a reef tank with fish? I see ccCapt said 5 to 10 is this right? I also read there is a different consensice between aquarists so anyone doing a reef tank please help.

ccCapt's number is pretty dead on, 5-10x tank volume should pass through the sump per hour. so in your case it would be 180-360 gallons per hour

Thank you. I thought I was looking at to high a pump. Now do I just take into consideration the tank size or should I add in the size of my sump too?

Don't forget to factor in "Head lost" as each bend and each foot decreases the volume of water a pump can push!

Back
Top Bottom