32 Biocube Ultralife Red Stain Remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfontenault

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I have been recently having some pretty severe issues with cyano, so I purchased the ultralife red stain remover and added it to the tank (just a little while ago). I have the 32 gallon Biocube with added fans onto the back of the tank. I know using this stuff can affect the O2 levels, but I think it should be okay with how much water gets exposed to the air in the back+the added fans, right? The default protein skimmer also has an airstone in it as well.

Thanks.

It could be ok. I'd be more concerned about the airstone as it creates salt creep and does a poor job of moving water around. Look into getting a powerhead and adjust it so that it points up at the surface of the water. This should solve your cyanobacteria issues along with improving CO exchange.
Cyanobacteria thrives in low flow areas, with no powerhead to move all of that water around...cyano. It can do this on small amounts of nutrients in the water column. End of the day the red slime remover is a bandaid on the issue and it will most likely return the next day when the lights come back on to feed the bacteria.

Thank you. Do you have any cheaper powerheads you could recommend for a tank this small? There are no corals, I just have fish.

Definite powerheads is the way to go. We have a nice article on cyano in our articles section.

Back
Top Bottom