36" MH System for a 48" tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I guy I know is selling this fixture for $600. Would this work for a tank that's 48" long? My only other concern is if this would affect the brace in the middle of my tank.

• 36" Fixture with 2 250 metal halide with 14k bulbs and Electronic ballast
  • 4 High Output t5 super actinics
  • 12 Actinic blue led moonlights
  • Dual fans
  • Mounting kit and hanging kit.
Oh, and would this affect my water temp too much. I live in a hot area where my house temp gets to 78-80°F in the summer.

What brand and if used, you could probably do better. It would work but you may have 6'' of dim lit area on the edges. for that money, you may be able to get an led setup even if another $100 or so and come out ahead.

Just looking around it may not be such a bad deal. The single lamp setup seems to be around the 650 mark new.

How many gallon tank?? How deep?? And yes, metal halides will raise your temperature but need to know the size of tank. If heat is an issue, consider T5s or even better, LED. Metal halides will ALSO raise your electric bill.

55 gallon, about 16-18" deep. I'm going to get T5 most likely. I like the Current USA Nova Extreme 6x54w. LEDs will not happen for me because of the price. I'm not investing in an expensive lighting system because I would like LEDs to replace my T5s in the next few years when they become more affordable. I was just curious since most decent MH systems start around $800... thought it might be worth the deal.

Well, 500 watts of metal halide is WAY too much for a 55. They will raise your temp a LOT. A nice LED panel, equivilent to a 250 watt 14k bulb can be had for between 300 and 400. WAY cheaper then 600 and a LOT less electricity and heat. Then supplement it with a dual strip 78 watt T5. One 39 watt actinic and 1 39 watt 14k. Great lighting system put together for about 550. No heat, little electricity. My LF has a beautiful LED panel with cooling fans and the works for 300 and has them over his coral tanks and they are awesome. I have a 200 gallon with 3 halides. One at a time I'm going to replace the halides with these.

Back
Top Bottom