40 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darwin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set this tank up late oct 2010 and after fighting hard water and a junkie off the shelf co2 injector the tank is looking much better. I would like to get/build a chiller to compensate for my wood stove that is in the same room. Temp fluctuate during cold spells a few degrees.
The swords are still not getting enough of something but are doing allot better with the new co2 system I've got. I'm thinking of giving one of the swords away to make room for the other plants. Sorry for the quality of the pictures I used the kids camera. My camera is in use at work.
The water feature is made of petrified wood that I cut into thin slabs. I have nerite snails that keep it somewhat clean of algae but I like a little green on them. Makes it look more natural
This tank design is a prototype design and I plan on doing things a little different when I build one for a client that wants one this summer.

Attachments

• my tank.jpg
    my tank.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 493
  • water feature.jpg
    water feature.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 447
  • tank view.jpg
    tank view.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 462
things are starting to go well now with the plants.
this is a lilly I'm having to cut down otheriwse it will block out the lights for the other plants. but I think Ill let it flower just to see it bloom.
img_1264853_0_b1d0c530436bf9476bd0c39caa04eb4e.jpg

img_1264853_1_18cff380993348f430f42f84a33a5b82.jpg

Darwin said:
things are starting to go well now with the plants.
this is a lilly I'm having to cut down otheriwse it will block out the lights for the other plants. but I think Ill let it flower just to see it bloom.

Great looking tank!

The lily pad is a unique addition that I'd never thought possible in a tank.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

talk about growing fast . The lily flower grew about 4" in 1 day. First time to see it flower any guess to what color it will be?

img_1266145_0_b61f7a64ce5625d0dd7f3a6445bf48c6.jpg

cant wait till mine get taller, been looking at those cheap co2 packs that use 2 tabs and you add sugar(20g max) are those decent? they are nutrafin brand..

doogle said:
cant wait till mine get taller, been looking at those cheap co2 packs that use 2 tabs and you add sugar(20g max) are those decent?

There's a formula (here?) that is sugar & yeast you can get from the grocery store. It's a home made system. I gonna try that when/if I ever do c02. Luckily I already have a cylinder when I need to step up to a pro system :).

I did the home made job at first. used a stainless steel coke syrup tank that they use on fountain drink machines after a couple months I found a CO2 cylinder with gauges and bought a better reactor. I have had much better luck with it than any of the other DIY co2 system I had used but It wasnt till about 3 weeks ago that I did a partial water change and used more fertilizer than I normaly do that things really perked up. if you can get the CO2 cylinder and guages I would recomend that for sure. but for a small tank under 30 gal the DIY should work ok.

Darwin said:
I did the home made job at first. used a stainless steel coke syrup tank that they use on fountain drink machines after a couple months I found a CO2 cylinder with gauges and bought a better reactor. I have had much better luck with it than any of the other DIY co2 system I had used but It wasnt till about 3 weeks ago that I did a partial water change and used more fertilizer than I normaly do that things really perked up. if you can get the CO2 cylinder and guages I would recomend that for sure. but for a small tank under 30 gal the DIY should work ok.

No, this one is a 2L soda pop bottle, a gatorade (?) Bottle and a few feet of air line. That's why I want to try it first, other than yeast it's free :). The cylinder I have is a c02 bottle for air driven tools (reg, gauge attached).

clown loach, angels, rainbow, albino dojos, neon tetras, algae eater generic, think thats it

It is a little overcrowded but everyone has a place to hide and the waterfall feature helps with filtration/airation. I have a 12 gal tank at the cafe that I plan on upgrading to a 30 h and i'll move some then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom