40 Gallon Breeder project (help?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeviRH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am highly considering adding a 40 gallon breeder tank this year, and this is what I'm considering doing.

Lighting:
Ecoxotix E-90 Full Spec LED (heard wonderful reviews)
Heating:
Two 150 Watt Heaters (overkill?)
Filtration:
AquaClear 70. (or two 50's? something better?)
Marineland Maxi-Jet Powerhead 900 with Hydro Sponge Pro III fitted to the intake, and DIY CO2 line fitted to a DIY Spray Bar for the head. (ideas?)
Substrate:
Thinking of mixing Flourite Dark, and Flourite Sand Red (another suggestion?)
Misc:
Possibly adding an Aqueon 500 for circulation, and two 6" airstones hooked to a dual outlet air pump. (suggestions?)
Plants:
Not sure on most, but Swords, Wisteria, Java Ferns, Java Moss, Anubias, Lobelia, Bacopa, Crypt's, Chainswords, Dwarf Baby Tears, Ludwigia, Banana Plant, Dwarf Sag, Pennywort, Cabomba Anacharis, Hornwort, are what I have had success with in the past, might try a combination of what I know, and something new.

Will be picking up the tank possibly Friday, because that is the only thing I'm 100% on.

I mixed ecocomplete red and black, works nice.

I would go with 2 AC50's although one 70 would be fine too.

Whats the purpose of the maxi jet and the Aqueon powerhead?

Also 2 100w heaters would be more than fine.

I mixed ecocomplete red and black, works nice.

I would go with 2 AC50's although one 70 would be fine too.

Whats the purpose of the maxi jet and the Aqueon powerhead?

Also 2 100w heaters would be more than fine.

I'm using a powerhead in my 20 long to diffuse DIY CO2, and think I want to do the same here. Only idea I've got. Want to hook a sponge filter to the bottom of it for bio-filtration, and will eventually remove the sponge filter for another 20 long, and replace the powerhead for a pressurized CO2 system with a different diffuser.

The Aqueon powerhead for circulation on the other side of the tank, I noticed a dead spot in my 20 long and want to prevent dead spots in the 40. If it's unneeded, I wouldn't mind saving a little money.

Sorry for the untimely response. Been sick with Bronchitis, and it is taking its toll on me.

Back
Top Bottom