40 Gallon Breeder Stocking Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnnygromis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just bought a 40 gallon breeder and need some help with ideas for stocking. I really want to do a Saulosi Colony. But I wanted to see what other options there are in terms of african cichlids. Here are my Questions

What other cichlids can I mix with saulosi? And what number and ratio for those cichlids.

Can I put demasoni in a 40 gallon breeder?

Any other ideas of colony's where I can safely overstock and get lots of color.

Thanks in advanced!

If you want to breed fish, it's best to keep them in a single species tank so you don't get hybrids (common with Malawi mbuna type cichlids) and to reduce aggression to others in the tank.

Tank size is the limiting factor here. A group of saulsi cichlids will take over the bottom half of the tank when they breed. A male and 3 or 4 females would work and give all the fish a bit of space, but a bigger tank would be better. Bigger being longer and wider, not necessarily higher.

If you want to add another species, I would look at Aulonocara species (peacock cichlids) and get a male and 3 or 4 females of a single species of peacock cichlid. The two groups of fish should be ok together in the tank and won't cross breed.

Back
Top Bottom