40B Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedNeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I am looking to get my 40b going again and my wife really wants sw. I did it before but very half arsed. I would like to do an overflow with a sump this time. I was going to go with a mp10 for in tank flow along with the return. Last time I had a hob skimmer......how do I size a overflow and return pump for this? I was going to do a reef but basic corals. Any suggestions on equipment is welcome. I was going to make a purchase on stuff today from BRS for the big black Friday deals ?

So this is the stuff I have in my cart. I figured I will try to dyi the sump with a aquarium I have in basement (20 long). I have two return pumps in the cart and don't know which one is better. Did I over do the overflow too?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181123-172844_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181123-172844_Chrome.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20181123-172832_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181123-172832_Chrome.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 114
So for $125 I picked up another 40 Breeder drilled with an overflow and return along with a 20 gallon long dyi sump with the plumbing and a nice little pump. Guy had it up and running for two years but had to downsize when he moved. I'm really glad I stopped into my lfs to get some info on sizing.

Attachments

• 20181124_170145.jpg
    20181124_170145.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 173
I got everything mocked up. It's not where I want it but the furnace air return is in the way where I originally was going to place this aquarium. Everything fit up good! Just have to 90 the overflow piping and glue in one more baffle that I noticed was mia on the overflow side.
Now, there is a check valve on the return side so will this help my sump from overflowing in the case of a power outage? Technically water should not be able to siphon back to the sump, right?

Attachments

• 20181125_173148.jpg
    20181125_173148.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 111
  • 20181125_174451.jpg
    20181125_174451.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 89
To prevent water from siphoning from the tank to the sump via the return line, consider drilling a small hole just above the water line (hint: angled downward towards the waters surface). This will break a siphon from occurring when the pump is off. The water shooting out of the hole should be nominal when the pump is on.

So, where is everyone getting their dry rock from?I was going to purchase 35 lbs of just dry rock and get 5lbs of live rock from my lfs.

Also I have a quick stock list;
(1)Royal Gramma
(2)Snowflake clowns
(1)goby/shrimp pair
(2)Banggai cardinals

Please feel free to give advice on the stock list along with a suggested cuc for this stock. Keep in mind I'm going reef.

Thanks guys/gals!

So, I'm pretty much just waiting to find some rock at a good price. I have sand and rodi filter comming tomorrow so I'll start making some water when I get home from work. I stumbled upon this wave maker, Jebao RW-8 Series Wavemaker with Controller. Has anyone used them or heard much? Videos on YouTube seem decent and at less than half the cost of the mp-10 it's in my price range.

People that use them like them. I’ve never use them personally.

All o remember is that the early batches went bad quick, but seems those issues have been resolved.

People that use them like them. I’ve never use them personally.

All o remember is that the early batches went bad quick, but seems those issues have been resolved.
Thank you! I think I'm going to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom