40g Breeder Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great! I just got a 40b as well and am stuck at the drilling part lol.

Good job building the stand, the stand I have now wont even let me get a 10g under it. :-(

Good thinking.

Its so easy Carey. I ordered the bit and bulkhead off amazon. Drilling took 2 min.

LOl I know. So I've heard. I have a reef club meeting tonight so I will hopefully get a definite answer on who has what bits etc and can do it for me.
I'm lazy and don't want to page up, what return pump are you going to run? And how many holes did you drill and for what diameter bulkheads?

LOl I know. So I've heard. I have a reef club meeting tonight so I will hopefully get a definite answer on who has what bits etc and can do it for me.
I'm lazy and don't want to page up, what return pump are you going to run? And how many holes did you drill and for what diameter bulkheads?

I will be running a mag 5 return pump. I only drilled 1 hole. Its for a 1" bulkhead. The bit size is 1.75". The hole will be for the overflow. I will be running my ruturn in .75" and going over that back.

Im looking to buy a filter sock holder and a handful of filter socks. Does the length of filter sock matter? I see there are 8.5" and 16" socks...

How tall is your sump? If you have to buy a mount for the sock they hang pretty low so the longer socks kinda drag on the bottom.

How tall is your sump? If you have to buy a mount for the sock they hang pretty low so the longer socks kinda drag on the bottom.

Gotcha. Yeah. Im buying a cpr holder, it comes eitg a 4x16. Im going to buy 4 more 4x8.5 socks.

No, don't paint the 90 elbow in the overflow. To do it right, you can use krylon fusion paint. But cure time is about 1 week, and it needs 2-3 coats.

I'd go with a schedule 80 elbow (these almost always come in grey). Much better looking than the white sched 40 elbows from HD or Lowes.

The wall thickness of PVC has no affect on the color , if you want grey PVC just ask for grey PVC

The wall thickness of PVC has no affect on the color , if you want grey PVC just ask for grey PVC

Schedule 80 is regularly available as most hardware stores in the area and comes in standard grey making it affordable and available.

Colored PVC however is not readily available at hardware stores and isn't as cheap to buy & ship.

Sched 80 pvc is a good alternative if you're looking for grey pvc.

Schedule 80 is regularly available as most hardware stores in the area and comes in standard grey making it affordable and available.

Colored PVC however is not readily available at hardware stores and isn't as cheap to buy & ship.

Sched 80 pvc is a good alternative if you're looking for grey pvc.

I'm not trying to be rude..... White and grey are industry standard colors and you can find them in any Home Depot/ Lowe's

What do you guys think if I do a free standing lid on the hood. I dont like the way it sits on the hood when using a piano hindge. Id use 4 magnets to hold it on, so itd be somewhat held in place but very easy to remove

I hung my lights using S hooks. Theyre rated for 30lbs. They made for outdoor hanging baskets, so should be fine in these elements. I also mounted 3 power strips to a board that is hung on back wall, away from the water. This certain wall is 10" behing the tank. Ill also be storing my ato resevoir here in this free space.

Back
Top Bottom