40g Planted Apistogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would up the rummynose number to 20, I started with 10 and it was just too empty. A 40 breeder will also allow enough space for 2 pairs of Apistos or a nice group of Dicrossus.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay so 20 tummy nose.
Pair of the cockatoo apistos
Pair of the steel blue apistos
Checkerboard cichlid
Pair of farlowella

How's that looking:)?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

?that's so many Otos . I'm not used to having so many but I completely understand with the amount of algae I might have:(.

Look on Craigslist for a CO2 tank. I picked mine up for $35 from someone trying to get rid of their kegerator. Then you can take it to the welding supply shop and just swap it out.

FYI, don't buy food grade CO2... Way more expensive than welding grade. The Airgas store near me only does food grade in 5# ($29) and 10# tanks. I found another welding supply that sells 5# for $13.50. Guess where I'm going next lol.

Thanks so much for the advice redmax. Would sports authority refill a co2 tank for a reasonable price?

Thanks so much for the advice redmax. Would sports authority refill a co2 tank for a reasonable price?

The Dicks Sporting Goods near me does refills up to 24oz...depending on what size tank you get(reccomend a #5 tank for the 40 at least) a welding shop or a gas supplier would be your best bet...
I go to Airgas for my #5 tank($10 +/-) & to Dicks for the 24oz tank($5 +/-)refills..

sit in silence...

Okay so 20 tummy nose.
Pair of the cockatoo apistos
Pair of the steel blue apistos
Checkerboard cichlid
Pair of farlowella

How's that looking:)?

+ two Otos
And 5 pencil fish

Up the otos and if you're going with 2 apisto species then leave the checkerboards out.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

?that's so many Otos . I'm not used to having so many but I completely understand with the amount of algae I might have:(.

It's because the otos are very social fish and do much better in schools

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for all the stocking help so far:). I have a few questions to start out what percentage should I run the 24/7s, the amount of micros and macros, and the drop checker.
I know it will need to be balanced in addition to photoperiod by being by a outside window and the plants inside. But what is a good initial start for those three?

?ordered finnex 24/7s with free two week shipping...receive them two days later. Amazon.....thank you

Ran into a lot of problems today...
I can't seem to get good control of the ir when they are both next to each other . I want to custom set each one and it always controls either one or the another.
Problem 2- my online diffuser is too small, have to return to GLA
Problem 3- had to boil canister filter tubing so it was flexible, hope I didn't ruin anything
Problem 4- all the cords everywhere look tacky, any ideas? There's 4 from the lights which is annoying.

Yet another problem ...my crap glass lily pipes only have one knob for one suction cup and the weight of the canister filter tubing pulls them sideways....do I have to buy new glass?

Ran into a lot of problems today...
I can't seem to get good control of the ir when they are both next to each other . I want to custom set each one and it always controls either one or the another.

Yeah the controllers use the same frequency. I would put the receivers on each end of the tank or cabinet so you don't have line of sight to the light you don't want to control.

Problem 4- all the cords everywhere look tacky, any ideas? There's 4 from the lights which is annoying.

Zip ties are your friend! Get everything set up the way you want to, then use the zip ties to create a cable bundle. Then you can route that the least intrusive look.

I'm going to try and get everything cleaned up once I get a 3in rotary drill bit for all the cords. No suction cups came from my lily pipes so that was the culprit. I will zip tie the cables tonight:)! I have BDT on the way for DSM, any thoughts for DSM ?

Back
Top Bottom