46 Gallon Stocking Ideas Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sire Boom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am currently cycling a 46 gallon bowfront and I am unsure of what I would like to stock it with. Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas!

Some of the fish I like are...

*African Cichlids
*German Blue Rams
*Bolivian Rams
*Angels
*Congo Tetras
*Denison Barbs
*Discus
*Kribensis
*Cory Cats
*Cardinal Tetras
*Rainbow Fish

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would stay away from African cichlids. The rams are beautiful and always interesting but slightly delicate and take a lot of effort to keep happy. I would recommend them to anyone who has the time to keep them healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nothing wrong with African cichlids, though if you're in western WA, you probably have soft water and will need to add salts to add hardness and raise the pH. Congo Tetras might make decent tankmates with some of the less aggressive African cichlids. (Not sure, as I've never kept either.)

German Blue Rams are very sensitive and can be tough because they're heavily inbred and often treated with hormones by unethical breeders in Asia. You'd be best off buying direct from a reputable breeder. Bolivians are less colorful and more aggressive, but are much hardier. Both of these ram species, Cardinals, corys, and angels will do well in soft water near or below pH 7.5. Your tank is too small for discus.

Go African cichlid, they look great

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think the rainbowfish and kribesnis are quite fascinating. I've kept both and both are very active and charming fish. Rainbows swim all over, mostly towards the top of the tank, and kribs mostly towards the bottom. Just to toss out my two cents out there, I'd get about half a dozen bosemani rainbows and a krib maybe two, although they aren't exactly a grouping type of fish. Personally I'd get more than that, but I tend to overstock.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just occurred to me... I've got a tank with some rainbow fish and kribs, and I also just added some killifish yesterday. They are getting along quiite well and their colors are all very vibrant and complimentary of each other.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't get the Denison barbs because they are really active and social. They could end up hitting the sides of the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No offense to anyone but I'm going to have to disagree with Harlow. Your tank size will be too small IMO for rainbows. I have mine in a 55 and I'm giving them to someone with a 120 because they are very active and need a lot of swimming space and hiding places.
I personally always recommend cories because I love them.

how about a large school/shoal of cardinal tetras and a group of perhaps 8-10 dwarf corydoras?

Try decorations they can hide behind and try plants real or fake

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would do live plants and large schools of maybe 2 types of fish.

Big group of Cardinals looks awesome. And if you raise an Angel or two as babies with them, they should be ok.

A nice group of Sterbai Cories would look great, esp if you use nice sand.

These a C paleatus but you get the sand visual
http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ

This is just to give you an idea. Not my tank. Too many Angels and I would not recommend the Columbian Red Blue Tetras in there..too nippy.
http://youtu.be/YLTbuTv92cU

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the suggestions! I currently have a mated pair of Kribensis and I think I would like to try to build the tank around them if possible. What would you recommend to go with them?

Back
Top Bottom