5.5 Gallon Tank Setup Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey! :D

I am thinking of setting up a 5.5 gallon tank.
I already have an established tank up and running (20g community) but I might have a bit of MTS ;)... so if I can get an OK from my parents, I will set up a nice 5.5 gallon planted.

Here is the thing..
I know little to nothing about live plants, so for a start, what kind of lighting could I use? I'd prefer something that's decently affordable, because I can only use $200 in Christmas money.
Since I'm knew to this, what's an average price I should expect the lighting to be?

Anyway, I plan to stock the tank with a Male Betta. I was wondering if I could add 3 Ottos? Would the Betta attack them? Or should I be more concerned with the fact that Ottos are sensitive and smaller tanks fluctuate more easily?

The thing is, really, that the 5.5g I see at the store is a basic rectangle and a little Betta looks so small in there... almost empty. I wouldn't compromise a fish's health for looks, but is there anything out there that can go in there with the Betta? I know the options are slim.

Thank you so much! I look forward to receiving help as I set up this tank! (Hopefully :eek:)

Generally speaking though, you want lights that provide a good spectrum of light, often referred to in K, a tube that produces around 6700K is a good start.

The lower the K rating, the more yellow/red the light produced will be. The higher the number, the more blue/purple the light will appear.

I have 6700K and 18000K tubes over my medium light tank. Which pretty much gives a full spectrum of light to my plants.But im not sure what the cost would be, But I know it wouldnt be over $200 ;)

As for the betta attacking the oto's, It really depends on the bettas personality. Sometimes they can be docile, Sometimes they can be Aggressive.

As for oto's in a 5.5 gallon, I would say no. I wouldnt put an oto in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. Smaller tanks are usually Are harder to keep parameters stable and with oto's being sensitive to water quality, I wouldnt do it.

Amano shrimp (Cleanup) and netrite snails (algae eater) are some good tankmates for bettas, But the shrimp could get eaten possibly (Like I said, It depends on the bettas personality)

Tyler

When I had a 5.5g setup I used a desk lamp. Home Depot used to sell one that was 27w and while that sounds like alot of watts, it wasn't that close to the tank so some of the light was lost. It was maybe $30. I bought it a couple years ago, but you may be able to find one that is similar. Or a desk lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb...say 15-20 watts would work as well, just look for the ones that are 6700K.

I also agree that Otos in a 5.5g isn't a good idea. I have some Otos that are pushing 2 inches from head to tail and they would not be happy in a 5.5g I don't think.

Live plants aren't hard...the trick about planting a 5.5g is to find small leaved plants. If you try to put an Amazon sword in there, it won't last long before you have to move it out. Plus it will make the tank look like a 1g. :) Easy plants like Rotala rotundifolia, Bacopa, and Pygmy Chain Sword are easy to grow and find in lfs usually.

Thank you both for your replies!
Tomorrow is my mom's birthday so I'm not going to ask her for anything, but soon I will find out if I can get the tank. If so, I'll head out to the pet store with my Christmas money and see what I can find around 6700k.

Is 6700k considered low light or no?

Because of your input, I've decided not to get the Ottos. I don't want to risk their health! Amano Shrimp are a possibility... But I thought Bettas liked to eat them? (Correct me if I'm wrong...) I like Nerite Snails, I just don't like when they go on the glass and you see this gooey blob, lol.

Wel, Thanks for the help!! :D I have something to think about.

6700K would probably be low- more of medium light, But it really depends on the wattage.

It really depends on the bettas personality on whether it would eat it or not, But it is worth a try.

Tyler

Then what should the wattage be? 20w?? Haha, don't forget that I have experience with caring for fish, so I know pretty much everything that I need to, but when it comes to live plants, I am a total newbie.

You can do some really neat stuff with small tanks and lowlight plants that will probably do real well with standard lights on a small tank.

I have both a 3 and 5 gallon planted tank and both have thrived for over a year with lowlight plants like crypts, java fern, java moss, marimo balls. Moneywort will grow okay in lowlight if its allowed to float. I have photos in my albums.

A method I've had good success with while buying bettas that will hopefully do well with community fish is to go to an LFS that houses some bettas in community tanks. You have less choices that way, but have a higher success rate with good temperment that way.

I can't wait to see what you come up with. Hope you find these small tanks as satisfying as I do!

Thanks! The idea for this little tank was that I missed keeping Bettas and I wanted to get one again. I'm not fond of the smaller tanks sold for Bettas that have all this stuff goin' on.. I really just prefer standard rectangles.

Anyway, because I wanted something simple, I gravitated towards this tank that looked fairly large and I was surprised it turned out to be a 5.5 gallon. Anyway, I figured it would be perfect for my little planted setup idea. The only complaint is that I wish I could put more fish in... but again, wouldn't compromise the fish's health for looks!

The plants you suggested, Java Fern, Crypts, Java Moss, etc. were exactly what I had in mind. I like the Crypts and the Java Moss especially. So... they would be good to go with a standard lighting?

Also, about the Moss.. when it grows, will it end up taking over a small tank?

Thank you for the help! :D

My java moss hasn't so far, as they are REALLY low light tanks and I don't use fertz in these at all. Just pull out whatever growth you don't want.

I'd send you some lowlight plants that are acclimated to this type of setup but its too cold to mail plants right now.

Sounds good to me. Now I don't have to worry about some fancy or pricey lighting. I think the tank will come out very nicely! :)
Now if only I can get my parents to say yes! :eek:
Oh, and thanks for offering anyway :)

Ok so tomorrow I'm going to ask my parents if I can get another tank.
I'm gonna really try to downplay it and make it seem not like a big deal at all, so they don't freak out about me getting more pets, lol.

Wish me luck!! :|

On another note, can reptile tanks be used as aquariums? Just curious because I saw some at the pet store today and they come in a much larger size variety and selection than the fish tanks.
Would it hold water? Or Leak? Or Give way?

Thanks, just curious. I wouldn't try if it's risky.

Thats a good question. I've wondered about it myself before.

I've heard you should never home fish in a used one, because some types of reptiles carry nasty parasites, but a new one?

I'm sure it would work out, but would want to hear from people who'd done it before I tried myself.

You might run into unique problems with fitting standard equipment to an odd size, but that can usually be overcome with a little engenuity.

It's not necessarily their odd size or shape, it's just I have a larger selection I choose from. i.e The smallest aquarium only comes in 5.5g. The reptile tank, however, give me more options such as 5g, 5.5, 3g, 4g, 6g, etc.

Options are always good.

I'm just a fan of oddball stuff and get excited when I see or hear of someone doing something different.

Also, remember that you don't necessarily need lighting. I don't use any light at all for my 55 gal planted. My crypt do really well. Window light helps, I have crypts and anubius and they do fine without any extra lighting. They do splendid in the summer when the window light is stronger, but they are just fine without very much light at all. *I like to save money too!*

That is a good point, if the tank is close to a decent light source.

If not, any kind of inexpensive light will do, even the wonky little ones that come with small tanks.

Yeah, it'd go in the finished basement, which gets no sunlight, only tank and ceiling lighting. Also, I prefer having some sort of lighting on the tank anyway becuase I like to see my fishies at night, too.

Anyway, about the Reptile tanks:
I did a quick Google search and came up with some interesting info.
Some sites said that the Reptile tanks are made with thinner glass, which would cause bowing when filled with water. Also that the sillicone is not waterproof, or some don't even have sillicone at all.
Another said that they personally convert used Reptile tanks into aquariums fairly often by following these steps... 1) Wash it out well. 2) Measure the glass thickness compared to that of a fish tanks. If it's the same, your in business. And finally, 3) Check for sillicone, if non is present add it yourself.

Very interesting, but I think I'm better off sticking with the 5.5 gallon fish tank. It's not that much more expensive, and I think worth the peace of mind. I hate doing iffy things, lol.

Thanks for the continuous feedback so far! I plan to stick with simple/standard lighting and will update from there if I can get my parents to say yes!

This is basically like a tank build, so stay tuned folks! :) lol

Can't wait to see what you build! And good luck with getting your parents permission.

Thanks! I will start buttering them up now and ask in a little while ;)

EDIT: Lol. My mom is so suspicious... she knows I want something. Hopefully it will go over well.

So I finally asked my parents and...

They said yes!! I was so excited :D
I went out and ended up buying a 5 gallon bowfront. It's in the process of cycling... I added some Ammonia yesterday.
Will post pictures later!

Back
Top Bottom