5.5g (16") lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRagg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I've seen tons of posts on lighting a 10g tank, but I haven’t seen any/many for smaller tanks.

I’m going to be starting a 5.5g nano planted tank in the next few months and I’ve already started scrubbing together everything I need. I plan to use a 3 L bag of Amzonia for my substrate, a small AC HOB filter with CO2 piped into it. Small stealth heater, and now I’m to the lighting.

What options are there for a tank that is 16” long?

I know I could do a few 13W CF bulbs, but other than that I don’t have many/any ideas. How does everyone who has nanos light them (BTW still not sure if I’m going with high or low tech)?

There really aren't any options out there that are 16", most fixtures go from 12" to 20" with nothing in between. I'm currently using the 12" 2x18watt fixture over my 5.5 gallon. It does pretty well, but I wish I had a bit more light over it and a lunar light. The legs JUST barely fit the tank. The other thing is that it's a bit of a chore to find daylight bulbs for this fixture. If you go with the Current version you'll have to get creative as the legs won't extend far enough beyond the fixture to fit the tank.

DIY is the best option. i just mad eone for my 5.5 tank. here it is if u are interested.
img_695661_0_b3a927206a947c5467e04b85b373f607.jpg

img_695661_1_73febecc47ca1e195eec74dd1d386de3.jpg

img_695661_2_7f05c14c1212c5c60a487bc8ea9f5d06.jpg

it is 2 14 watt t-6 bubs. gives me 28 watts. i dont know the conversition but i assume it is a bit more. i am getting good growth so far from it.

Hmm, there is a single current one on big al's that is just 1 32W for $59. That's not that bad.

I may go with the route mr. funktastic used and do the 2x14W bulbs. I can see that being a good deal cheaper, and still providing enough light.

Thanks for the tips, at least now I've got a place to start.

it was free for me to do since i had 2 spare lights. u could buy a ballast made for however many bulbs u want then just wire it up. these ballast are from standard light strips that come with tanks. i dont like them very much. they are loud and just powerful enough for the bulbs. i will make it better when i get some cash to buy the proper ballast for it. u could make your light smaller aswell. i made it this tall becasue i forgot to take actual dimentions of the end caps height lol. got lazy but it looks good.

Besides the standard light ballasts you used, where else would one get some ballasts? I am a total non-DIY person, but I'm eventually getting a 5.5g for my betta and want some good lighting options. I could get my dad to help me build a canopy like mr. funks...but where should I look for ballasts? Hardware store? I'm sure this question sounds dumb, but I am a girl and not very handy when it comes to building stuff. :)

u can get ballast at home depot but they are normally t-12 ballasts(the thick bulbs) u would want to go to to an actuall electrical supply store. sometimes they are hard to find in some areas but it is do able. if u need specific help just pm me. it is way easier to do then u think.

Nice link fish...too bad it looks like chinese to me...lol. I have no clue about electric stuff. I'll have to get some help before I start building anything. :) I'm not in a rush though. I've actually looked at some of the 16 inch fixtures mentioned and some 12 inchers with legs. It won't be anytime soon before I setup a 5.5g...I'm just learning from this thread.

Great thread JRagg!

excellent site fish_4_all. Putting together an ODNO 2x14W setup would only cost about $35-40. That's pretty reasonable to get up to (28x1.5) 42 W of lighting.

jragg u should look at the same set up but for a t-5 ballast. u would be getting more light technically for the same cost i believe.

Why overdrive. Put the ballast on top and add 4 bulbs giving you 56 watts and move the light fixture about 4 inches above the tank. Or just use 3 bulbs for 42 watts. Although the t5's could be ever better. Just get a ballast rated for longer/high watt bulbs and the whole thing should stay a little cooler.

that is exactly what i did for my 20 gal tank. a 4X 48" t-8 ballast was 25(canadian) and that can be set up for any bulb under that size aswell. i wired up all 4 bulbs but an currently only using 3. most ballast are load sensing so u dont have to worry about that. check out the link on the bottom for a really good example of what u can do. it was sooo simple it hurt my brain to not process it lol.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=75738&highlight=

Well I guess what I've been doing is starting with the bulbs and working outwards from there. The reason I had thought about ODNO is that it would take less space. It probably would just be easier to throw on an extra couple bulbs. I may be able to thrown in an acitnic bulb too for coloration.

As far as the T-5's go, the only bulbs that I can find that would get close to fitting a 16" hood are the 8W ones that are about 12" long. That kind of seems like a pita.

there are all the same lenghts in T-5 as there are inT-8 if i am not mistaken but if u cannot get them locally then i would stick with the T-8. u could easily do a 4X 15" T-8 set up in a hood that is only 5 inches wide. plenty of light for what u need.

FWIW, I like your original plan of using 13w CF iif only because the bulbs are so easy to find. The Bayco worklights are relatively cheap at ~$15/ea, come with a somewhat decent reflector built-in, and a 6500K bulb. Also, three of my hardware stores sell 6500K 13w CF bulbs are replacements for common worklights.

No 5.5 gal tank, but to answer your question about how I light my nanos:

For a 0.5gal tank I used a 23w screw-in CF over the tank and ambient light from an adjacent tank. This one is hard to balance for a variety of reasons. (I'm trying 13w screw-in CF now.)

Over a 2.5gal I use a 13w CF in a desklamp several inches above the tank. I can grow orange L. brevipes and purplish Lindernia sp. in there as a medium/low light tank with little-low dosing. I'm looking for a nicer desklamp because I find this an attractive way to light a tank :)

Over an 8gal tank I use 26w CF and 20w NO. This is a high light tank and I am dependent on CO2, regular dosing, and plant mass to beat algae.

FWIW, I am of the opinion that its smarter to keep something like a 5.5gal slow growth.

Back
Top Bottom