5 days without power, Ahhhhh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chest Rockwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thought I would like to share a crazy situation that just happened to me. The entire apartment building lost power due to a blown transformer and the entire meter board going out also on a Saturday night. I figure the power company would come out and fix everything within several hours. After 4 hours of no power I went to Wally world and got four $5 dollar aerators. Then the power company told me that they needed parts but couldn't get it till Mon. That sucked for me because the cheap aerators I have use up 2xAA in 18hrs. I bought a lot of batterys. I had to move the fish in my 30G into my 90G. That's 43 fish in there...I had 2 pumps on my 90G and my 58G. Monday comes and find out that power won't be restored til Thursday morning! I did not feed my fish the entire time. The temperature here during the day is 85-90F. I just left the windows and patio door open the whole time. I had one of the aerators hooked up to a big sponge filter which worked quite well to my surprise. I also threw all biomedia into media bags and dropped them in the tanks. During that time I lost 2 peacocks, 2 Kenyi, and a Johanni. I also had to set up a small container for my turtles and took them with me to a hotel. All I brought with me was a basking dock, uvb bulb, 40W incandescent, Safe, and turtle pellets. When power finally was restored it took me about 7hrs to redo all my tanks with massive w/c and knowing all the BB in my 30G and Quarantine tank decor/substrate died, during this I rescaped all my tanks minus the Nano. My nano RCS did well also. It is heavily planted so I just set it out on my back patio to get direct sunlight for about 2.5hrs a day. Just to say just make sure you got air in the tank(cheap at wal-mart) and don't feed. Put all your biomedia in your tanks. When power comes on do big w/c. Now I just hope this Hurricane Matthew doesn't knock out power on the west coast of Florida.....

Wow, that's great effort in your part to keep these guys alive under the circumstances.

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's really bad.

Couldn't you use a couple car batteries and a power inverter to get your filters going?

Yeah, like i have money to buy car batteries. I only spent $15 in AA. I bought the cheapest and biggest pack they had

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also as of now all my fish and tanks are back to normal

Yeah, like i have money to buy car batteries. I only spent $15 in AA. I bought the cheapest and biggest pack they had

Well if it works for you. I just think it would be a good idea to keep the tanks running properly.

Back
Top Bottom