5 gallon soil aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been having algae issues in my betta tank, likely too much light, so I decided I would go for another soil tank. I planted it with Water Wisteria and some Rotala. Lighting is 1 X 13W CFL which will be on for 8 hours or so and filtration is a Red Sea Deco Art Nano. Since it is fall, I may add some oak leaves to the bottom, or make some black water extract. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Question: I used .75"-1" of soil (Miracle-Gro Organic) and about 1" of gravel cap. Is this enough soil? I sure hope so.

That's probably enough. I'vebeen putting 2-2.5" of MGOC but that's dry... it compacts down to about 1" or so after I put water in it. I guess you know to expect an algae outbreak in about a month? It'll get bad, then clear up about 2 months later. My 29 is just getting over the algae outbreak, and IMO it's worth going through from what I've seen with mine so far. Just remember to keep an eye on your ammonia reading for the next month or so. My MCOG always leeches ammonia for a while.

Yep, I knew I would end up with an outbreak. I actually just let it starve itself out in my 2.5g and now I have very little. What do you reccomend to keep the outbreak from completely overtaking my plants?

I didn't really have any negative side effects of the algae outbreak. It hit hard, then cleared up on its own. I think the algae may help pull some of the excess nutrients out, eventually starving itself and dying off. The split photoperiod seems to be very beneficial for me... I can't find any logical reason why it works, since algae should grow easier than plants... but it's working for me with 4x39w T5HO on my 40b and no co2 or ferts.

Well, I guess I will change it over to a split period, have been meaning to for a while. Do you do what most people do with their soil tanks and skimp on the water changes? I have only had the one other soil aquarium and it is just chugging along and I do changes here and there, but not regularly.

I used to be very OCD about doing water changes. I have done 2 water changes on my 150 since setting it up here at the new house. We moved on the first of July. So, yeah... I've been skimping. But... my water quality is good. I haven't really had much time to do them... I'd prefer to do them weekly. Once things settle down, I'll be going back to the weekly PWC schedule.

Alright, I always try to do mine weekly, but sometimes will strech to 2 weeks if nitrate levels allow.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom