5 month danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joolz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I’m Julie I’m new to fish keeping. could someone give me some advice please. I have a 12 litre tank with foam filter a 5 month danio and a 3 month old platy but the last couple of days I’ve noticed the danio struggling to swim up in the water and wondered if maybe he has swim bladder disease- I feed them flakes, bloodworms occasionally and they have had brine shrimp but don’t tend to like it. What can I do to help my young fish as he I struggling. I also have a main 35lire tank with 4 danios and 4 platys. The two in the small tank are what I have rescued from the main tank

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Any chance of a 1 minute video of the fish swimming and maybe a picture of it?
You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If it is a swim bladder problem, there is no cure and euthanising the fish is the best thing.

Swim bladder problems occur in 2 forms.
1) The fish stops swimming and floats to the surface. This is usually caused by air in the intestine and not a swim bladder issue, but it can be caused by a swim bladder issue. If a fish floats to the surface when it stops swimming, stop feeding it dry food for a week and feed it live and frozen foods instead. If it recovers then the issue was air in the intestine. If it doesn't get better after a week without dry food, then it's a swim bladder issue.

2) The fish sinks to the bottom when it stops swimming. This can sometimes be caused by fish eating gravel but that is normally in goldfish and they get a weird shaped belly when they do it. If fish like danios sink to the bottom when they stop swimming, they have a swim bladder problem.

Is there any other way I can put a video of the fish on other than u-tube
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom