50 gal stocking question and Fluval in/outlet placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
Greetings all.

I have a few questions regarding my stocking list and setting up my new Fluval 405 canister filter. We want to keep the community peaceful, free of fin nippers and we're not looking for any babies in the future. Below is a picture of our tank (please ignore the tube mess since we haven't put a background up yet:whistle:). The only thing missing from the tank is a few live plants (probably some java fern or wisteria).

Tank info:
50 gallon long
Dimensions: 48L x 12.5W x 20H
39992-albums2055-picture13731.jpg

Possible Stocking List:
2 marble angelfish (female)
6 panda corys
3 sunburst platys (female)
rest undecided

Question 1
Would we be able to add a few more friendly fish? If yes, any suggestions and how many of each?

Question 2
Can I add the 2 angelfish and 6 corys at the same time? I know some fish take time to establish territories but I'm unsure if it is necessary for them.

Question 3
When should I add the platys? Same time as the fish in question 2?

Question 4
I will be setting up a new Fluval 405 in a couple days and I would like to have the best circulation possible in the tank. Would placing the inlet and outlet on different sides of the tank be acceptable (see picture #2)? If yes, which side/way would you set it up?

(the HOB filter will eventually be switched out and the heater will be moved so room shouldn't be an issue)
39992-albums2055-picture13732.jpg

Thanks in advance!:popcorn:

Question 4
I will be setting up a new Fluval 405 in a couple days and I would like to have the best circulation possible in the tank. Would placing the inlet and outlet on different sides of the tank be acceptable (see picture #2)? If yes, which side/way would you set it up?

I'm not much help on your questions 2 & 3, but you have plenty of room for some more friendly fish like cherry / gold / checkered barbs for example, and I have my output more to the right of your lines, the intake about where your's would be.

Question 1
Would we be able to add a few more friendly fish? If yes, any suggestions and how many of each?
Yes you can! Any tetras would be good! Maybe a school of like 7-8. And you could also add in any dwarf cichlid and 2 of them...

Question 2
Can I add the 2 angelfish and 6 corys at the same time? I know some fish take time to establish territories but I'm unsure if it is necessary for them.
Hmm... I would add in the cories then wait a bit and then add in the angelfish. I would watch the parameters a bit though.

Question 3
When should I add the platys? Same time as the fish in question 2?
Wait like 1-3 weeks to add the platys in.

Question 4
Don't know... Sorry.

I'm not much help on your questions 2 & 3, but you have plenty of room for some more friendly fish like cherry / gold / checkered barbs for example, and I have my output more to the right of your lines, the intake about where your's would be.

Great! I think barbs are awesome!

Question 1
Yes you can! Any tetras would be good! Maybe a school of like 7-8. And you could also add in any dwarf cichlid and 2 of them...

I was thinking tetras too... well some of the larger ones that wont look like a meal to the angels when they get larger, lol.

Well I'm glad I was doing a fishless cycle because I walked by my tank last night and I could feel the heat radiating from it. Apparently my heater is broken and the tank was at ~97 degrees! Knock on wood that it decided to crap out in 2 weeks instead of 2 months:eek:

Back
Top Bottom