50 Gallon (180 Litre) tank ordered..... Stocking Ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinkster87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All

I have just ordered my new tank, a Juwel Rio 180 (I have arranged so it arrives 13th Feb - I am off that day to sort it out).

I have ordered 2 filter sponges (which will fit the new tank) and have a spare one already in my current small tank to get seeded, so once I get the new tank delivered I can place 3 nice and dirty seeded filters and also some old gravel substrate into the new tank - so I am hoping for a quick cycle.... unlike last time.

Stocking ideas - I have been told by the missus for small peaceful and colourful community fish.

So the idea is something like:

10 Cardinal Tetras
6 Harlequin Rasboras or Spotted Blue Eye Rainbows
4 Ember Tetras (They are from my current tank)
4 Pitbull Plecos (I have one left in my current tank, will buy more)
5 Guppies (Just males preferably)
2 Dwarf Gouramis

So my question are:

What would people choose Harlequin Rasboras or Spotted Blue eyes?

Will my 4 Ember Tetras hang out with the Cardinals? or should I get more embers?

Could I get the Pibtull some corydora friends instead of other pitbulls and then also get a bristlenose?

I have seen some goldust mollies which are stunning, would these be possible tank mates for this community?

Any other stocking ideas/changes are welcome!

New tank set up... 3 filter sponges I seeded are doing their job as ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 20+. 6 Guppies brought and 4 embers transfered over from 10gallon. Cardinals getting bought tomorrow stocking slowly...

ForumRunner_20120217_214629.jpg

I would get

10 Cardinal Tetras
8 Harlequin Rasboras or Spotted Blue Eye Rainbows
8 Ember Tetras
4 Pitbull Plecos
5 Guppies
2 Honey Gourami or 2 Rams(Don't get both of these as the rams will kill the gouramis as even though the rams are peaceful the gourami is very very peaceful and will let itself be bullied to death)

Use aqadvisor to see if you could add anything else

my latest stocking idea was..
6 guppies
10 cardinals
4 pitbulls
4 embers (prob get 4 more)
2 honey gourami
2 blue rams
and poss 1 or 2 cockatoo dwarf cichlids - though need to research this more.

Apistogramma Agassizii (m & f) and 4 more embers purchased today. So currently at
2 Apistogramma Agassizii
6 guppies
8 embers

my 4 Pitbulls will transfer over during the week if water quality remains good, then nxt wk I will get 10 cardinals. The Agassizii are lovely little fish who soon find the smallest hiding spaces.

ForumRunner_20120219_001654.jpg

ForumRunner_20120219_001716.jpg

Back
Top Bottom