55 gal set-up and cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:facepalm: You're right! I shouldn't be complaining!

:flowers: for LibraryGirl and everybody else :)

Day 21

Ph: stable at 7.4
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 80-160

Moving right along. Redosing ammonia with one capful of Ace ammonia. This reliably brings my tank to 4ppm.

Does anyone have any idea if nitrates are are produced from ammonia to nitrite conversion also?

(originally posted elsewhere by accident, lol!)

jen31972 said:
Day 21

Ph: stable at 7.4
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 80-160

Moving right along. Redosing ammonia with one capful of Ace ammonia. This reliably brings my tank to 4ppm.

Does anyone have any idea if nitrates are are produced from ammonia to nitrite conversion also?

(originally posted elsewhere by accident, lol!)

Looks good :). What's the question? The nitrAtes are created by the second type of bacteria (Nitrobacter) that eats the nitrItes and excretes nitrAtes. So, they're basically the end product of cycling (not technically, but as far as your aquarium).

Missed posting a few days due to a major photography project (shot a friend's wedding, edited the 854 pics down to 300 ish, edited those, printed and put them together in a scrapbook complete with embellishments for the bride in about 21 hours. Didn't sleep much, lol.) I did check ammonia and nitrites both days and both were zero. Reduced to 4 ppm ammonia each day.

I am doing a final to-the-rocks water change and when the water temp is good, I'll add the three neons from my son's 5 gal tank.

Tomorrow I hope to get to to the LFS and get 9 or ten more neons to fill out the school. I also want the to julli Cory catfish if they ate still there. The LFS is expecting another shipment of julli cories this week and I hope to get four note to round out that school. Then we'll wait a while to add any more.

Any comments on the above plan? Is it too much too soon?

Thanks so much everyone for walking me through this. I never would have done it right without Eco's guide and you all helping me out. Hugs to all!

Woo hoo!! Congrats!!! :dance:

Your plan sounds fine to me. That's a big tank though, any plans for further additions? The fish are going to love the room!!

As Eco says, pics are required when your cycle is done and fish are added. :brows:

Just doing a final pwc to remove the last of the nitrates then when the temp stabilizes in go the neons! Pics will follow!

Thanks, Librarygirl.

librarygirl said:
... any plans for further additions?
:brows:

I already have a place for a tall 40 gal. for some angelfish, but hubby says no way. I'll have to be happy with the 55 gal. :)

Great to hear :). There's no problem adding all those fish at once...it'll be perfectly fine...add a few more if you want. And yes, pictures are required! ;)

pics!

If you look very carefully at between the green plants in the rightmost pic, you'll see a tiny neon tetra. Tomorrow I am going to get 10 more (there are three right now). Hopefully some julli cores, too.:dance:

Attachments

• DSC05993.jpg
    DSC05993.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC05994.jpg
    DSC05994.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC05991.jpg
    DSC05991.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom