55 gallon restock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone, its been awhile since I've posted anything since school has really picked up but here I am! So here is my dilemma, my current stocking is:

4 yo-yo loaches
3 polkadot pictus cats
1 spotted raphael cat
2 bristlenose plecos
7 tiger barbs

Recently tiger barbs have been harassing the others more than i would like and i think its time for them to leave. My local fish store said that they would take them so i don't need to worry about that. I would like some peaceful active top to mid-level schooling or shoaling fish. i was thinking possibly giant danios. Any suggestions would be great. Just as long as i can get them in a big enough size so the pictus can't swallow them whole.

My current filtration is one emperor 400 and an aquaclear 110

I'm not 100% about compatability with your current fish, but Rainbow fish are some of the most peaceful, and colorful fish available. All three of my tanks are Rainbow fish (third tank is still waiting for more Rainbow Fish). I have Boesemani Rainbow in my 40 Gallon, Sepik and Bleher's Rainbows in my 45, and I'm going to have Yellow, Red, and Parkinson's Rainbows in my 55. There are many other cool species with excellent coloration. You can check out my pics on my profile and see what you think. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Ya had the same problem with tiger barbs, there supper aggressive. Congo tetras are nice have 5 myself, gourami, rainbow fish will brighten your tank, guppys( when they have frys its a balance diet for everyone, if you dont want to save them)

I'm going to stock my custom 45 with Amazon River tetras. I really like the look of colorful schooling fish. I plan to make a group of Congo Tetras the "main attraction".

My moral dilemma, per se, is that I'd LOVE to add a pair of beautiful Rainbow Fish but that would blow my "Amazon River" theme. :hide: I will try to resist the Rainbows....

A school of Congo Tetras are beautiful with good lighting.

CMOS

I have a 178 bulb led setup for lighting that is kinda overkill for my tank because it is so bright. How many rainbow fish could I have? Congo tetras?

IMO, I dont know any fish that likes bright lights. You might need to put a filter on it so its not so bright. With out seeing how bright it really is i dont know.

I'm pretty sure it just looks really bright because before I had just 2 t-8 bulbs that were almost burnt out. Here's a pic if that will help. Honestly I don't think that it is too bad.

Attachments

• image-2753331102.jpg
    image-2753331102.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 94
With the light color substrate might throw it off a little, can always try. If it looks like the fish is always trying to hide then I would put a filter on the light.

Ok thanks. I really like the colors of the boseami rainbow. Could I get 5-6 maybe?

I'm not 100% about compatability with your current fish, but Rainbow fish are some of the most peaceful, and colorful fish available. All three of my tanks are Rainbow fish (third tank is still waiting for more Rainbow Fish). I have Boesemani Rainbow in my 40 Gallon, Sepik and Bleher's Rainbows in my 45, and I'm going to have Yellow, Red, and Parkinson's Rainbows in my 55. There are many other cool species with excellent coloration. You can check out my pics on my profile and see what you think. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Nice pics , really like what you did there'

Thank you! Here is a pic with the moon lights on

Attachments

• image-2131827955.jpg
    image-2131827955.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 71
Just returned the tiger barbs. Now I have room for some new additions!!

I think I might go with a mix of 3 boseami and 2 turquoise rainbow fish.

Well here they are! I ended up with 2 boseami and 2 Australians for now. I'm getting a turquoise next Thursday on order

Attachments

• image-3112600674.jpg
    image-3112600674.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2165394480.jpg
    image-2165394480.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 59
Sorry I haven't been on lately. Thanks Rodeo One for the kind words :). JackWagon, awesome decision on Rainbow fish. They will get some awesome color once they get used to the tank. Love the tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom