550 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you mixed in 4 small Red Bellied Pacu into a school of Red Bellied Piranhas could they live?

You should go with discus with freshwater the King of freshies you could get a whole bunch in there they love schooling and in my opinion are the most beautiful fresh water fish their is.

Jesselav1233 said:
You should go with discus with freshwater the King of freshies you could get a whole bunch in there they love schooling and in my opinion are the most beautiful fresh water fish their is.

Second that if you go FW. A fully stocked planted 550 and discus with maybe a small tree lol would look awesome

vanimal said:
If you mixed in 4 small Red Bellied Pacu into a school of Red Bellied Piranhas could they live?

I really doubt that but I have no way of knowing for sure. They look a lot alike, so maybe the piranhas wouldn't notice. Then again pacus are herbavores so that could be tricky.

Yeah but I was on Youtube and I saw a Piranha and a Pacu in the same tank and they ate a mouse.

I think if they were added at the same time it could work. I dont think the piranha could tell them apart. Also Pacu are schooling fish when they're young so they would probably school with the piranhas. They look very similiar!

mqdefault.jpg

Thumbnail.jpg

vanimal said:
I think if they were added at the same time it could work. I dont think the piranha could tell them apart. Also Pacu are schooling fish when they're young so they would probably school with the piranhas. They look very similiar!

Try it out! Ill be waiting to see the outcome ;) I was thinking just that, but I don't want to encourage something that might or might not work.

I can't wait to live in a state where I'm allowed to have piranhas!

Same I had some a year ago when I lived in Minnesota. Now im in Florida and its illegal... ):

A heavily planted tank with 150 Neon Tetras and Cardinal Tetras. Also a pleco and a school of 40 Cories with all different species mixed.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I'll take them all into consideration and report back when I pickup the tank.

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was suppose to pickup the tank this evening however the guy sold it last night (WTF). Talk about busting someones bubble:-(. I'm really beginning to hate Craigslist. Oh well, maybe I'll just go and buy a new 300 gallon that I can keep in the house.

What will happen with the wife complaining about you increasing the size of tank in the dining room again? Thought you were trying to get away from that?

Steelhawke said:
What will happen with the wife complaining about you increasing the size of tank in the dining room again? Thought you were trying to get away from that?

Who cares buy it and deal with the consequences later! Lol that's what I would do I mean we're talking about a 300 GALLON TANK !!!

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was suppose to pickup the tank this evening however the guy sold it last night (WTF). Talk about busting someones bubble:-(. I'm really beginning to hate Craigslist. Oh well, maybe I'll just go and buy a new 300 gallon that I can keep in the house.

Sorry to hear about your future 550gal falling through ... Sucks. I've been following this thread and it generated some interesting recommendations.

But a 300 gallon's a serious enough size tank for a house ... I'd say go for it ... Assuming your floors could support the nearly 4000lbs or so of weight(y)

Regarding the wife complaining about a larger tank in the dinning room:
Well, I thought of a genius idea. I wife have been wanting to get a our bathroom remodeled for some time now. So I said, hey if you agree to a new fish tank, I'll agree to get the bathroom remodeled. She said, hell yeah!:ROFLMAO:!!! Then I said, **** that bathroom remodel is going to cost a lot. Well, at least I'll get my tank:).

Regarding Floor Support:
Well once again I've come across a win, win situation. Well, our home is on a raised foundation. It also looks like our bathroom floor is going to need some repair (possible structural repair). So we're going to have to have a structural engineer come and take a look. Guess what's on the other side to the bathroom wall, you got it, the exact spot where the new tank will go. So, while the structual guy is working on the bathroom floor I'll get him to work on supports for the tank as well.

Now I just have to find a tank.

This thread is sounding very similar to a, if he gets, she gets thread I read months ago. Marriage ... It's a compromise.

I'm wagering you'll definitely need to structurally reinforce that floor ... Figure the water at 8lbs / gallon ... A 300 gallon's going to add up when you consider, the stand, substrate and ornaments ... Not to mention the weight iof the tank itself.

BTW ... I don't think 300 gallon is a "standard" size you'll find at LFS's so it may have to be a custom order?

Back
Top Bottom