55g -fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquinn425

Aquarium Advice Activist
1 coral beauty or 1 flame angel
1 purple firefish
Pair of ocellaris clowns
1 type of goby
CUC of usual hermits and snails
A few skunk shrimp
Would love to have a serpent starfish

Does this sound ok? I'm open to any ideas/suggestions. Just starting out. Tank isn't set yet, just wanting input! Thanks in advance :)

If you plan on doing corals, maybe not do the angels. They have been known to nip at corals. Not saying it can't be done if they are on a good feeling schedule but they are not listed as reef safe. So depends if you want fowlr or a reef tank. Different varieties of fish for each category.

You could get another fish in there (but go slow!). Agreed with 50gfowlr; Angels are not always reef safe, and it can cause a lot of trouble for you as you are new. I know you were wanting coral.

What would be another good tank-mate with the rest of those fish?

so many options. look into reef safe wrasse. I guarantee you will find one you like.
then there are blennies, maybe a royal gramma, chromis, cardinalfish. the list goes on. If you haven't already check out
liveaquaria.com
It tells you what fish are reef safe and their care requirements.

This site has really been great for me trying to research and learn before I do anything!

glad to help. most of us have been in the exact position as you and other, more experienced members were there to help us! one day you can pay it forward. lol

I hope to! As far as adding fish.. How long do we need to wait before adding any fish to the tank? And then how long should we wait between fish before adding more? Then when should we add the CUC?

A great reef safe wrasse is the McCosker's Wrasse. He's one of my favorite in the tank. A midas blenny are really cool fish and such characters. Add the most aggressive fish last.

Add the fish when the tank is cycled meaning ammonia and nitrite are undetectable. Nitrates should be low like around 20 or 30 ppm (less is better of course). The firefish can go first or the 2 clowns, but 2 fish might be too much of a bioload for such a new tank. Wait a few weeks or a month when starting out. Once your tank is more established, you can add every one or couple weeks. Add the CUC crew when the tank is cycled, and there's diatoms, algae, left over food from fish, or something for them to feed off of.

Back
Top Bottom