55g FW Community Stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Jam-is-on

Aquarium Advice Freak
We've been going around and around with the stocking list and think we have narrowed it down. Let me know what you think?

55g long with Topfin 60 and Marineland Penguin 350 filtration.

5 Black Skirt Tetras (2 bs and 3 white)

2 Angelfish (1 koi and 1 marble / maybe 2 koi)

4 Cory Cats (IS this enough? Do I need to go to 6?)

4 Boesemani Rainbowfish

Awesome. What about the Rainbows? Will they be ok with only 4?

Any suggestions on which to add first? We have two BS Tetras now (made the mistake of a fish-in cycle) so I was going to get 3 more of them today.

Should I add the 2 angels today as well? Or the add the others first?

You don't need 8 cories. They'll do fine between 4 and 6. Also, are you aware of the aggressive tendencies of the black and white skirts? First, I've found they don't mix well, even though they're technically the same species. Second, they're very nippy and would likely bother your angelfish. I would suggest a more peaceful tetra.

You don't need 8 cories. They'll do fine between 4 and 6. Also, are you aware of the aggressive tendencies of the black and white skirts? First, I've found they don't mix well, even though they're technically the same species. Second, they're very nippy and would likely bother your angelfish. I would suggest a more peaceful tetra.

I haven't heard anything yet about differences in the black and white. My wife actually wants all black so we may do that.

I am a little concerned about them and the Angels but we unfortunately got off on the wrong foot with the cycle. I have the two that made it so it we defintely don't want to just get rid of them. I was thinking that filling out the school would curb some of the aggression. Would it be better to just leave them as a pair and get another school of something?

He has a 55 gallon and nothing on the bottom, I think 8 corys are almost required.

I was thinking that was a little more than I wanted, but I know they stay small and would be the only bottom fish. I'm hoping I can find some of the more colorful Corys though.

Are you witnessing any aggression now? Here's my experience: we got 2 white skirts without thinking about it first, and we tried to fill out the school with 4 black skirts. it was an utter DISASTER. Filling out the school just doesn't work with these fish, in my opinion. If you have a peaceful setup, I'd leave the two as is, don't encourage them with more rambunctious buddies. I'd get another school of something.

Are you witnessing any aggression now? Here's my experience: we got 2 white skirts without thinking about it first, and we tried to fill out the school with 4 black skirts. it was an utter DISASTER. Filling out the school just doesn't work with these fish, in my opinion. If you have a peaceful setup, I'd leave the two as is, don't encourage them with more rambunctious buddies. I'd get another school of something.

I have a male and female and they do chase each other quite a bit. I thought this was aggression but I've been reading and it seems like it is more flirtation.

So I may leave the two then which would suit me better actually. If Angels would be best going in last, should I add the Cory's and Rainbows at the same time? Cory's first?

If they chase each other, that's better than one or two getting picked on relentlessly, which is what I experienced. If you're looking for another schooling fish, maybe look up gold tetras. They're beautiful and a little larger, so the angels shouldn't be tempted to eat them.

Rosenweiss said:

I think the reason why that happened was because you had two skirts, and then you added four more. If you would have added all six at the same time, at a young age, maybe there would have less aggression?

I think the reason why that happened was because you had two skirts, and then you added four more. If you would have added all six at the same time, at a young age, maybe there would have less aggression?

Absolutely, I agree. It's filling out the school that the OP was considering, though, which is why I raised the red flag.

If you wife wants the skirts then give them a try just be prepared if they get feisty. I am with Rosenweiss, I do not really care for the skirt type tetras and I would go with pristellas or rummy noses.

If you wife wants the skirts then give them a try just be prepared if they get feisty. I am with Rosenweiss, I do not really care for the skirt type tetras and I would go with pristellas or rummy noses.

She's not completely locked in on them as I'm not their biggest fan either. I think we'll leave those two.

Would Cardinals or Bleeding Hearts work? Or would I have similar issues with the Bleeding Hearts?

You may, Bleeding Hearts are known for aggression as well. As for cardinals, how big are the angels? If they're quarter-sized juvies, it'd be okay, since they'd grow up together. But if the angels are medium to adult sized, the cardinals might get eaten.

That's what I was thinking. The angels they have are about 50 cent piece sized juvies. Do you think it would work to skip a tetra school and just get more rainbows?

That would work as well. Six bows, the angels and cories would make a nice tank full. Add some nice plants, a few broad leaf swords and it would be a stunning display.

The angels are small enough to go with cardinal tetras if the cardinals aren't juvies.

Back
Top Bottom