55G heavily planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

underdog5004

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I got a 55g tank. I have laid down a substrate consisting of equal parts large smooth gravel, florabase, and flourite. I have 2x40W T12 lights (came with the tank) over it. Will this be enough to grow a carpet of microsword, and later on, babys tears?

i don't think the t12 lights will penetrate the water enough to get enough usable light at the bottom of the tank for those plants. also you're only starting out with ~1.5 wpg which is low light and i believe those require medium light.

to get a carpet going you generally need high light and co2. microswords might grow with the light that you have but might start to grow its runners upwards towards the light. not a big deal though you just have to replant it now and then. regular babys tears (hm) might grow. i dont have any experience with them though so i'm not sure. dwarf baby tears (hc) i had trouble with them under 2.5wpg with co2. they were alive but didnt really spread.

in order for me to get decent ground cover in my 55 i had to jump to 4wpg of t5 lighting, pressurized co2, and dose ferts (ei)

Back
Top Bottom