55gal restocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to restock my 55 gal, currently there is a senegal bichir and 3 female convicts and 2 giant danios (temporary). Everyone gets along fine, no one bothers the danios, and the convicts are fairly passive, they just stay to their own side of the tank. I think I might remove 2 of the female convicts and maybe the danios. That leaves my senegal bichir. I wanted a couple fairly large, gentle, non-aggressive fish for my bichir, any ideas?

I was thinking of putting a couple gourami species (1 pearl, 1 gold, 1 blue) and maybe an angel and add two more danios as dithers. Or going a completely opposite way and adding a firemouth and a jewel cichlid (they are really pretty) or maybe a JD (even though it is a bit big for my likings).

I have only seen baby senegals at the pet store with congos, but I want to go in a different direction.

What do you guys think, thanks.

Some of the larger species of gourami may work ... remember that a bicher will eat ANYTHING that it can or think it can fit into its mouth!!

Yeah I know that bichir can eat anything that can fit in its mouth, but I highly doubt it can fit an entire adult gold/ blue gourami in its mouth. I twas thinking this over a bit and am going to choose one of the following options.

Option 1:
1 Senegal Bichir
1 Blue Gourami
1 Gold Gourami
8 Tiger Barbs
1 Angelfish
3 Giant Danios

Option 2:
1 Senegal Bichir
2 Female Convicts
1 Firemouth
3 Giant Danios
1 Jewel Cichlid

I also found out that my senegal is compatible with Kribs, but are the Kribs compatible with the cons?

I definetly think I am going to add more Giant Danios though, what do you guys think.

I think option 2 is a better choice.
Just the 2 gouramis together could be a problem. I'm not even sure if they are compatible with angels. Also, the tiger barbs could probably be eaten by the bichir.

RoK said:
I think option 2 is a better choice.
Just the 2 gouramis together could be a problem. I'm not even sure if they are compatible with angels. Also, the tiger barbs could probably be eaten by the bichir.

I was thinking that the tiger barbs wouldn't be threatened because I get them fully grown and are way to quick for the senegal bichir to be eaten. Plus my senegal is very slow and passive and can hardly catch a ghost shrimp let alone fisty and quick tiger barbs.

My only concern with option two is the compatibility of the firemouths, jewel and convict with one another, and their attitude towards my senegal. Would it be possible for me to add a breeding pair of Krib to option 2? Thanks.

I've seen convicts and firemouths together but not with jewels or kribs. I think the kribs might get beat up by the other cichlids. Jewels and convicts are especially known for high aggression.

So Jewels and Kribs are a bad idea? I was hoping the breeding pair of Kribs would be able to hold their own againsta female convict or two or maybe a firemouth, even though I am not so sure about the Jewel.

Back
Top Bottom