56 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I lost my friend's oscar. He went after one of the mystery snails and apparently choked. Came home from work to a dead fish with a dead snail lodged in his mouth. Very sad.

I'm getting the tank cleaned up and plan on restocking it soon. I know I want angelfish but I'm not sure what else to do with them. I will probably start with a group of small angels in hope of getting a pair. Once I get a pair I will return the others. I think I want the angels, a couple bristlenose plecos, a school of something, and maybe some other non schooling fish. Give me some ideas!

For schooling fish they would need to go in first or not be anything smaller that neon tetras. I recommend rummy nose tetras. Thats what I have with my angels. Harlequins are also nice.

As far as other fish go, In my tank I have a male and female pearl gourami and they are fine. And look amazing with the angels.

Don't know what it is but a sole male orange barb looks amazing. You are admiring all the other fish then you suddenly get this flash of orange. I love it.

If you didn't like the smaller schooling fish you could go for something like glass catfish ( you might not see them much) or rainbow fish. Out of all rainbow fish I recommend the boesemans and neon blue rainbow fish.

For the bottom feeding fish bristlenose are good. A school of corydoras are nice. But if you have a lot of money you might want to have a look at some of the l2's or the zebra Pleco. I would have got them but the zebra Pleco is like £100 and most of the l2's are the same price. Stunning and IMO unbeatable for beauty. They just cost so much.

You probably know this but angels are a new era cichlid so they can be aggressive so make sure you add them last and when you do add them they are small.

I hope this helps with your ideas. When this is done please post a picture it sounds like it's going to look amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Glowlight tetras would be nice. A school of scissor tail rasboras is amazing. The only downside is that scissor tail rasboras don't have much color. Some loaches would be neat.

I wish I had the money for zebra plecos! I think I'm going with albino long fin bristlenose plecs. Or maybe cories. I love cories and I haven't had any in a long time. I need to check my lfs and see what they have as far as schooling fish go.

Should be looking at beginning to stock it this week, schedule permitting. I have 12 shifts between now and next Tuesday which is my next day off. Also, my boyfriend wants one of my empty tanks so he can start a tank for me at his place. Partly so I can have more fish when i get a place and partly so he can learn how to care for a tank on his own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, I'm started on a 55 for angelfish, too! I'd like to suggest honey gourami, rams or kribs. People also recommend hatchetfish. Feel free to look up my thread, as I was given a lot of thoughtful advice.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I checked out your thread and there are lots of good suggestions there. I'm thinking about maybe adding some rams when the tank is well established. My lfs has some really pretty gbrs most of the time so by the time I'm ready for them I should be able to get some. Decided I definitely want cories, but I'm not sure of what kind. They are all so awesome. When I get home tonight I might start getting the tank set up nicely again. It's just sand and some tiny driftwood pieces now because when I had the oscar in there I wanted him to have maximum swimming room. I'm thinking for the angels I will do a couple marbles and black veils, perhaps a pearlscale if I can find a nice one. Will be getting them at roughly half dollar body size. I think I will do some nice guppies as well. Hopefully the angels will grow up used to them and won't see them as food by the time they are big enough to eat them. Of course they will probably eat some fry but that will keep me from getting overrun with guppies.

Awesome! I am going with paleatus cories this time, aka peppered. I can never choose between them! This time, my wonderful lfs has over 20 peppered cories in stock and they are very happy and active. Since you have sand and driftwood, I have to tell you that I once had emerald cories in that kind of tank and found them beautiful against those colors.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have black sand. I like emeralds, peppered, and pandas best. Haven't seen any pandas around lately though. I could always see if they could order me some.

Put in my first fish last night. 5 mollies. 2 lyretail dalmatians, 2 blacks, and a silver. 3 females and two males. And a blue mystery snail to join my browns. Next addition will be either some panda cories or maybe a couple angels. I need to get some decor in the tank as well.

Nice, make sure you post a tank shot. I would add the angels last though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Today I dug out my fake plants, did a big water change, redecorated, and added 11 zebra danios.

Back
Top Bottom