5g reef tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to be starting a new fluval spec V 5g reef tank buil and want to ask a few questions.
The lighting is 7500k LEDs i wanted to know if these would be ok for zoanthids,polyps,leather corals, and ricordea mushrooms.
I am planning on getting 10lbs of dry rock, 20lbs of live sand, and stock fish and invert wise would be

A pair of clown gobys
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
3 red legged hermits
2 blue legged hermits
1 emerald green crab
1 peppermint shrimp
1 porcelain crab

Corals: pending

Any other stocking suggestions would be great! Could i add any more fish? Or only the clown gobies?

Well, if you're seeking honest critique.......

First, as far as I know, there are no marine fish that are capable of comfortably thriving in a 5g tank, let alone a pair of them.

Skunk cleaners can get surprisingly large.... I have an older one in my 28, and he looks abnormally large in there. If I had to make a guess, I'd say his antennae spread is about 7" to 8" across.

I'd nix the emerald as well.... Some have gotten lucky with them not going after corals, but many have regretted putting them in within a week or less.....

And, for arguments sake, if you did have all of that livestock in there, there would be so much critter poop in a such a confined area that you would likely have to do daily water changes just to keep the nitrates in check.

For something that small, I'd just shoot for an invert tank with maybe a couple of small hermits and either peppermint or sexy shrimp along with a couple of corals.

Well, if you're seeking honest critique.......

First, as far as I know, there are no marine fish that are capable of comfortably thriving in a 5g tank, let alone a pair of them.

Skunk cleaners can get surprisingly large.... I have an older one in my 28, and he looks abnormally large in there. If I had to make a guess, I'd say his antennae spread is about 7" to 8" across.

I'd nix the emerald as well.... Some have gotten lucky with them not going after corals, but many have regretted putting them in within a week or less.....

And, for arguments sake, if you did have all of that livestock in there, there would be so much critter poop in a such a confined area that you would likely have to do daily water changes just to keep the nitrates in check.

For something that small, I'd just shoot for an invert tank with maybe a couple of small hermits and either peppermint or sexy shrimp along with a couple of corals.

Yeah i understand. If i got a cleaner once its big i would move it to my 37

I would just go for one clown goby and consider it stocked for fish. What is the wattage on the leds?

Back
Top Bottom