.5mg/L ammonia w/o adding any in fishless tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirwired

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally got my tank setup and filled today. I got it all cranked up, added Prime (1 capful for a 38g tank), and it has been doing its thing for a few hours now.

I broke out the test kit to get initial readings and got:

pH 7.8
Ammoina .5 mg/L
NO2 0
NO3 0

I was going to do a fishless cycle by adding Ammonia, but unless I am completely screwing up the test, I don't need to add any at all!

I checked my municipality's "Finished Water Quality Report" and sure enough, the 2005 lists ammonia as .6mg/L. The "Consumer Confidence Report" is even more interesting: 3.46mg/L of Cloramines, with a range of .32 - 4.95.

What implications does this have for my fish (that I do not actually have yet)? It looks like to me I should double-up on the Prime and pray my Bio-Filter (once I cycle) can break this crap down before the Prime dissapates once I have actual fish in there. (The SeaChem website says Prime dissapates in 24hrs.)

Once I have fish in there, what do I do if I have to treat with antibiotics? If I do daily major water changes, what is going to take that Prime-i-fied Chloramine) out of the water if my Biofilter is comprimised?

The Prime bottle states that it only handles 3mg/L of Chloramine, so the standard dosage does not appear to be enough for a full tank.

SirWired

You have a little ammonia in your tap. I would dechlorinate a sample of tap and test it. A trace like you are finding won't matter much, once you have your biological filter rolling. I would still add an ammonia source to your tank .5ppm is not enough to get things rolling.

Doh! Of course I need 5ppm, NOT just .5... that will teach me to get my decimal points confused. (Better I learn now than when I have fish in the tank)

Thanks,

SirWired

Back
Top Bottom