6.6 Gallon fluval Chi Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ryan-peddle said:
I am goona do it I already posted an add for some moss online and I am going to the beach tomorrow after work for some driftwood a good root system I think it will look great in a CHI

Can't wait to see it :). Good thing it's moss, that's the only thing you can grow in there, lol. I'm killing Water Sprite left and right. I'm pulling some of my floating plants out of my DT and putting it in the Chi every week just so the little guy has something to lounge on. That LED light is borderline useless.

ryan-peddle said:
I hear ya if my Betta is above the led you can't even see him but from what I have heard moss does excellent in them

I've tried planting, floating...I'm convinced nothing but Java Moss will grow in that thing, lol. I had to resort to a purple/pink water lily Chi decoration the wife wanted. Luckily I can tell people it's her tank and not have to take responsibility for the fake plant, haha.

Good info thanks again here are some pics when it was the Betta alone now there is a moss ball and apple snails

Nice tank, thanks for sharing!

I love the look of the fluval, but it is kind of a pain in the butt for cleaning..lol. When I pull the filter off to clean it, the water from the inside comes out and puts gunk back into my tank. It's not a huge deal cause it settles and I just have to vacuum it, but if you have a way of doing it so that doesn't happen... please share!

Cheers! :fish2:

I've got the 5 gallon Fluval Chi with a single Betta and I did a fair amount of research on the jumping aspect myself before the purchase. Now granted I've only read about and never researched it personally...but my understanding is that Bettas most commonly jump when they simply don't want to be where they are anymore.

From what I've discovered, the jumping trait is an instinct they have due to the fact that the puddles they are in at certain points in the wild will begin to dry out or become overly dirty / polluted, and it is their intention to basically hop over to a new, more suitable location.

The approach I'm taking with my Chi is to provide as happy and suitable location for him as possible where the instinct to change locations would never cross his mind, and he'll be more than happy to stay put. The guy has been building bubble nests repeatedly, so I guess he must think it's a place he's willing to stay for a bit.

I know there are plenty of fish that jump do to being skittish or overly active...but from what I'm seeing so far I'm not overly concerned at this point. Hopefully I won't learn the hard way that my research is wrong.

The Chi's are a bit of a scary design because in order to maintain the aesthetic look it basically has to be filled to the rim. I have floating Water Sprite which he will use as a hammock occasionally and can probably see over the edge of the aquarium, lol.

I'm keeping it hoodless, but I'll definitely update the site if he jumps out of his home for whatever reason.

Hey Eco,

I'm kind of with you on that as far as the betta is concerned. I think also some people think it's "cute" to have their betta jump out of the water to get the food and such, and once it learns that trick.... well.... you know how that prolly turns out.

The only reason I put the lid on mine, really, was for the shrimp. When I first got him, he actually climbed up the filter and onto the rocks :eek: in the middle filter thingy, so yeah, trip to the craft store to get some plastic canvas and the lid was born! Smart little SOB!! :lol:

Looking for any other interesting ideas not just stocking would really like something really cool don't know how to describe it other then different (outside the box)

i dont understand the filter in this tank.. is that the little box? because it doesnt have a wire does it? sorry if im being dumb lol.

Mr.Albiman said:
i dont understand the filter in this tank.. is that the little box? because it doesnt have a wire does it? sorry if im being dumb lol.

No no it's just a question yes it's the box it takes water into the bottom through the filter and flows out the top like a little fountain the wire is hidden in the filter mount

Will take that into consideration also I was thinking of doing this tree in the center planter in the chi tell me what you think

ok so here we go this is my start at the bonzi tree it will take time to get it the way i want it but once the moss grows in more it will look better also i split up a moss ball for a grass effect around the tree if you have any pointers let me know this is just a trial but i must say i like it a lot so far it really suits the chi since planting anything but moss in a chi just wont work

Wow man! That looks awesome! Seriously! That Marimo Ball you used for the base is seriously ingenious. I really like it!

Thanks I really like it I've been staring at the chi since I put it in and my Betta loves it I think the chi is ment to be simple and this one decoration just really seems to suit it well

I would so steal that idea with the Marimo Ball but the missus would kill me. She loves that thing like it was one of the fish, lol. Every time I do a pwc she asks "Did you fluff my moss ball?" haha! Did you come up with the moss ball idea yourself or see it somewhere?

No I had a moss ball in it before and couldn't figure out what to do with it and it just clicked in it kinda looks like grass so I figured I would try it out and I am glad I did

Grab another Marimo ball and use it as grass and set the other on it? Just an idea

That really was a smart idea man. It looks great. I feel like it's missing one last tiny touch...but I can't put my finger on it. Looks a heck of a lot better than my big, fake pink flower, lol.

I'm not sure another Marimo Ball is the key IMO...I feel like it needs a touch of something...I'll have to stare at it a while longer, lol. Really looks good though.

Alright, I know this takes away from the natural feel...but what about some type of very mild lighting from the bottom? Almost like a buried LED that illuminates the bottom of the tank in a very subdued way. I can tell the moss kind of blocks out the lighting and darkens the bottom of the tank. Also, maybe a very soft touch of color somehow. Still thinking, lol.

Back
Top Bottom