6 weeks of Cycling aquarium and ammonia dropping slowly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SunkenShips

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I Have been trying to cycle my 150 gallon aquarium for 6 weeks and my ammonia has never had a significant drop during this time. First I set up my aquarium decor. I have a Fluval air pump going to a air stone. I have a large water heater in the tank that I keep set around 82 degrees. I have a Fluval FX4 cannister filter. I have been using Fritz ammonia and testing the water daily with API master test kit. I can give you the weekly test results showing you how my tank has cycled but ammonia stayed around 4 ppm and drop only slightly each day
PH Ammonia Nitrites Nitrates
5/23 7.6 4ppm 0ppm 0ppm
6/01 7.6 4ppm .25ppm 0ppm
6/07 7.6 4ppm .25ppm 5ppm
6/14 7.6 4ppm .25ppm 5ppm
6/21 7.6 4ppm 0ppm 5ppm
6/28 7.6 4ppm 0ppm 5ppm
7/04 7.6 2ppm 0ppm 5ppm
I have added ammonia 5 or 6 times usually during a water change that I do to keep my PH up or because it has dropped only a little. I am worried that my tank wont cycle and I have considered buying ammonia reducer by Fluval. I have seen an ammonia drop but im not seeing a massive build up of nitrates that I need to get all the ammonia out of the tank so that it will be cycled finally.

I’m not very knowledgeable in aquariums and maintenance (I am still learning) I did have a similar issue tho -for me I had issues with my water having harmful levels of ammonia straight away. I tested my faucet water Straight from and the tap and saw it had harmful levels of ammonia . After testing the faucet water I started using spring water and I no longer had harmful ammonia levels and my tank cycled great!

+1 on testing your tap water for ammonia.

You mention doing water changes to keep your pH up. Is the pH reading before or after your waterchange? What is it dropping down to?

Have you dosed with biological booster (seachem stability or similar)? Or put any established media into the system? Cycling can take months if you dont do either.

Back
Top Bottom