60 gallon cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If go with the 60 gallon tank with 850 gph filtration, what can I squeeze in it. I like severums and I'd like to get 2 in there. I also like the firemouth and salvini and I'd like to put one of each of those in there too. Could I squeeze another in there, maybe one convict or something like that? Let me know what you think would be the max on south american/central american cichlids in a 60 (48X13X24). I'm not keen on dither fish either, unless they help the cichlids in some way.

Bump. Oh yeah, I like Blue Acaras too and they are compatible with severums and firemouths on the americancichlids.com website.

Just keep in mind, man. 1 inch of fish per gallon. I am looking into a tank that size myself, they call it a tall 60 gallon, but if you calculate it you will actually come up with 65 gallons (231 cubic inches per gallon).

I'm betting that "guideline" is different for cichlids, because of the fact that so many are so territorial. I could be wrong though. BTW dax29, what kind of filtration are you getting that does 850gph???

I've heard that it's better to overcrowd cichlids to prevent aggression, so that they lose each other in the crowd. Or something like that.

Hrafnkel said:
I've heard that it's better to overcrowd cichlids to prevent aggression, so that they lose each other in the crowd. Or something like that.

Hi,

This is only the case for African/Malawi cichlids. Overcrowding (within reason) does reduce the aggression because of the ability escape into the crowd.

This does not apply with New Worlds though. Nor does the 1 inch per gallon rule.

If you were to pack a 60 gallon full with these then you would have the fish version of World War III break out.

New world cichlids are highly territorial and highly aggressive.

dax29, If you were to put all those on your wishlist into the same tank you would end up with very few fish left (actually, probably only one, the most dominant one). Each of them will fight to the death in an attempt to take control of the tank.

IMO you could fit EITHER a pair of Sevs, OR a pair of Acara, OR a pair of Convicts. Not all of them together. 60 gallons is not a lot of room for aggressive fish that grow to a minumum of 8".

JHMO.

steve

Thanks Steve. I'm thinking now maybe a pair of one of those species too. I really like severums. BTW I have a Penguin 350 and was going to add an AC 110 b/c big cichlids produce so much waste. I already have the 350.

There is a possibility you can have a mix of two. Firemouths, for instance, are relatively small as are acaras. Either an acara/firemouth mix or a firemouth/severum mix could work. Remember, you can use rocks and other formations to create territories and keep the peace.

I keep a severum, firemouth, and convict in a 55 gallon with few problems. I think as long as you keep only one of each species (to eliminate the possiblilty of aggression from spawning) that it will work ok, just have a tank divider handy in case things don't go as planned. You could probably keep the severum, blue acara, and firemouth OR convict. I'd leave out the salvini. IMO it would help to add dithers, even though I know you're not too big on them- gives the cichlids something else to think about. :p

Back
Top Bottom