646 lb. Catfish caught in Thailand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
talloulou, that was an interesting and halarious conversation you had in January. Did you ever get pictures or were you just joking about having the whole mekong thing? You know, people think eating those gives you wisdom...

When I was a kid growing up in Texas, we used to hear stories of 7 foot long catfish in a deep portion of a river by Stillhouse dam. The old joke was that divers looking for jewelry would wet their wetsuits after seeing a giant catfish.

THe other local legend was that the best way to dispose of a body was to dump it into Stillouse Hollow 8O . The catfish would take care of the problem ....

That was a large fish. I understand completely why they ate it and unfortunately didn't get to sell it. That cash would have come in handy and the enviromental group would have most likely paid next to nothing to most of us but could have been a few months to a years pay in their community. Unfortunately with the "progress" these may become a thing of the past, quicker than expected.

As far as our US catfish, none of them approach the size of this fish. Many have heard, as mentioned by JG, these legends of giant cats the size of VW bugs always observed near dams by divers recovering something or working on turbines and some of these are man eaters. Makes for good stories for locals.

:shades of Empire Strikes Back:

"And I thought they smelled back, on the outside!" ~ Han Solo

8)

I would love to see a photo of a 17' 750lb wels...I have some shots of smaller ones, but I want to see one that could swallow a swimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom