65g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I took out the pice of drift wood that was causing the most problems. I am now soaking it and boiling it an weekends. If that doesn't help I will probably buy one from the store. The wood is a hollow log from a crab apple tree.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

I would leave it in a styrofoam cooler with luke warm water for 5-7 days. That should get all the tannins out.

I forgot to add, you should change the water the wood is soaking in it daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks for the advice I am currently soaking it in a galvanized steel wash tub will that work? I will start changing the water in it daily.

when i showed up to the pet store all the fish were in the delivery box. the lady said that they have to put the fish in the tank first and acclimatizes them for an hour before I can buy the fish then but not right now now due to store policy. :banghead:i cannot go back today so i will have to go there again tomorrow :ermm:
but I did promise a few pics of the tank so ta-da
hopefully they worked ill add more if they do.

Attachments

• IMGP5414.jpg
    IMGP5414.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMGP5415.jpg
    IMGP5415.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMGP5418.jpg
    IMGP5418.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMGP5427.jpg
    IMGP5427.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 85
wohoo they worked ill add more now!!!
I love how green the wisteria is.
most of the crypts are melting because of the roots being disturbed but this one isn't. do crypts come back after melting?

Attachments

• IMGP5421.jpg
    IMGP5421.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMGP5423.jpg
    IMGP5423.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGP5426.jpg
    IMGP5426.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP5424.jpg
    IMGP5424.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 71
thanks for the advice I am currently soaking it in a galvanized steel wash tub will that work? I will start changing the water in it daily.

when i showed up to the pet store all the fish were in the delivery box. the lady said that they have to put the fish in the tank first and acclimatizes them for an hour before I can buy the fish then but not right now now due to store policy. :banghead:i cannot go back today so i will have to go there again tomorrow :ermm:

Washtub should work, i think the styrofoam cooler is better. If any metal seaps into the water, then onto the wood, you could be adding small metal particles to your tank. Unlikely but i would use caution.

Washtub should work, i think the styrofoam cooler is better. If any metal seaps into the water, then onto the wood, you could be adding small metal particles to your tank. Unlikely but i would use caution.

Ok I will be cautious but the tub is galvanize. Galvanization is same thing they do to street lamps nowadays, to stop the rain from getting in and rusting them.
I forgot to add this to my last post. What do you guys think of the scape? Good? Bad? Or move that thingamajig to the ________.

I like the scape. With those rocks and the driftwood, you could plant short plants and mosses on/nearby and go for the "hidden ruins" kinda look.

I like the scape. With those rocks and the driftwood, you could plant short plants and mosses on/nearby and go for the "hidden ruins" kinda look.

Interesting idea. I was thinking about making a java moss wall behind the branchy piece and tying moss to the upper portion if it. But on the rocks might look better. I will google pictures of your idea and see how it looks. Thanks!!

Well well well. In the past weeks I haven't had time to update. A bit of ick showed up in the new tank. A few dead cardinal tetras due to weak stock at the store said trusted employ. And sick siblings. Took up most of my time. Me not being able to drive yet and relying on others to do that makes pet store trips even harder. I got five glow light tetras today all but one lived (the unlucky one got stuck in the filter input.) the others are doing fine. Going to try to return the fish and leave it that for three weeks. (I get back from skiing then) ill add more tetras and Cory's then.

I have been rethinking stock.
I plan to have glow light tetras
Cory's
Ottos
Hatchetfish
GBR
And possibly an angel fish.
Comments on anything? I'd love to hear them especially on the angel fish.
Log soaking got mould on it so its not going to be used anymore.

So tired right now lets leave the post at that :/
Lol

So I now have all five glowlights. In about a weeks time I plan to make a new thread about stocking. I added Some small ludgigia trimmings from my other tank. All is well I will keep updating periodically. I'm mainly using this thread as a logg on my progress nowadays. :) life is good. Even when things are going not the way you know they should.

Got a blue delta tail Betta and narrow leaf chain sword yesterday. All is well going to keep on stocking the tank slowly. Thinking Cory's next. I will have my DIY co2 done later this week.

I'm still tuning in the co2 system which is taking up all free time I have. So no more new fish yet haven't had time or the chance to go to the LFS. :|

I'm still tuning in the co2 system which is taking up all free time I have. So no more new fish yet haven't had time or the chance to go to the LFS. :|

Ive been trying to tune mine in for 5 days. My drop checker keeps going back to dark blue overnight, then it takes almost half the time the co2 and lights are on for it to reach proper co2 levels...trying to figure out how to make the co2 presence last longer...

If you have lots of surface agitation (like a HOB) it will diffuse the co2 faster. Osmosis I think it's called, where particles move from a area of high density to low density making it equal.

If you have lots of surface agitation (like a HOB) it will diffuse the co2 faster. Osmosis I think it's called, where particles move from a area of high density to low density making it equal.

Ahh...maybe I will try to place the spray bar (coming from my sun sun and ista max mix co2 reactor) lower in the tank, well below the HOB filter inflow.

Two things I would comment on, first shrimp should never be the first thing added to a tank, unless that tank is well cycled and established. Second, never by fish the day they arrive or the day after - give them at least a week before taking them out of the store, otherwise lots of dead fish as you experienced. Let the petstore take the loss - they can get credit for fish that don't survive shipping, you can't.

Diffusion, but you were close.

Two things I would comment on, first shrimp should never be the first thing added to a tank, unless that tank is well cycled and established. Second, never by fish the day they arrive or the day after - give them at least a week before taking them out of the store, otherwise lots of dead fish as you experienced. Let the petstore take the loss - they can get credit for fish that don't survive shipping, you can't.

Diffusion, but you were close.

So, in short, move the spray bar further down, and move the drop checker down as well, like 2-3 inches above substrate. I have it on the opposite side from the spray bar (where the co2 is reacted with the water). Is that what i want?

Thanks!

Long time with no update. Since the last post of mine the chain swords sent out runners and are loving this tank. The wisteria and cambomba are not growing so I am trying to figure that one out. I bought some root tabs made for outdoor ponds. I placed the the root tabs around some plants in both of my tanks; hopefully they help I might also need better lights I will put a larger watt ballast and bulb into the current fixture (my Dad is an electrician so I know a lot). My Cory's in the 10g spawned. The fry are currently in a grow out tank; hopefully they get big enough to put into the 65g tank safely within a month and a bit.
Today I was at my favorite LFS and got three ottos who look very happy and haven't died yet so I am happy:) I also bought a Red Mellon sword, Jungle Val and moneywort. The sword had such a awesomely large root system that I had to massacre the pot with sizers to free the plant. Over all the fish and plants are good.

Back
Top Bottom