7-10x GPH??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jalanmiller45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is the 7-10 GPH really the rule of thumb? Is it best from your experience?
I've seen a lot of different opinion. For me, it means the difference between 1 HOB and 2.

Also, if I stay with one HOB, is a single heater enough for a 48" tank, in your opinion?

In general I think two filters and two heaters are easier for cleaning and safer if anything happens to one. On a large 4ft tank I found one heater was struggling to catch up but guess it depends on your winters as well. Very cold your way?

In general I think two filters and two heaters are easier for cleaning and safer if anything happens to one. On a large 4ft tank I found one heater was struggling to catch up but guess it depends on your winters as well. Very cold your way?

Not at all. We might get 10-15 days a year below 25 degrees F. Summers are very hot.
I think I'll start with with one filter/heater and perhaps add another one of each in a few months. I like the redundancy, and while I don't plan to overstock, I want the tank to be full.

Thanks for the reply!

Gosh that warm weather sounds nice at the moment. I can't do the conversion but it has been winter here with say 5C (into frosts) and trying to keep the tank around 25C (~76F).

Last edited:
Gosh that warm weather sounds nice at the moment. I can't do the conversion but it has been winter here with say 5C (into frosts) and trying to keep the tank around 25C (~76F).

About 90-92 at the moment (32-33 C), actually a little cooler than last week. Very humid, though.

I'm aiming at about 77F on the tank, which shouldn't be much of a problem as long as the heater works.

90*/92* with those temps your not likely going to see 77* in your tank at-least in the hotter months , your heater isn't going to help keep the tank cool because it has a thermostat in it , I have to unplug my heaters in the summer . keeping fans blasting the water surface to keep it cool on 90*/95* , I have had tanks way into the danger zone well above 90* I never want to go through that again , I struggle in the summer to keep things cool me included , I can relate to your temps in Alabama I was next door in Pensacola for a few years.

90*/92* with those temps your not likely going to see 77* in your tank at-least in the hotter months , your heater isn't going to help keep the tank cool because it has a thermostat in it , I have to unplug my heaters in the summer . keeping fans blasting the water surface to keep it cool on 90*/95* , I have had tanks way into the danger zone well above 90* I never want to go through that again , I struggle in the summer to keep things cool me included , I can relate to your temps in Alabama I was next door in Pensacola for a few years.

As long as the AC is working, we should be good. You ever deal with Emerald Coast Tropicals in Navarre when you were there? I've been talking with them some online.

Back
Top Bottom