75 gal freshwater into salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donk1667

Aquarium Advice Regular
i need some thoughts about turning a fully planted freshwater tank into a saltwater reef.what would i need to do?

Hmmm...you have your work and research cut out for you. I would begin by completely removing everything from the tank and rinsing it out. That goes for all filters etc. Get all equipment ready to go. Next, decide what type of SW tank you want...FO, (not recommeded), FOWLR (good choice) or reef (my personal fav). Next, research things like filtration, lighting, fish, etc. depending on what you want. It is pretty much starting from square one. Look into the fishless cycle method for getting your tank up and running.

thanks lando i have a rena xp3 ,390 cf watts of light ,and want a reef soft corals and of course live rock .ill most likely get a wet dry filter and sump. not too many fish and some little critters . i know i need different bulbs for the light would the light be good enough for soft corals ?

You don't need a wet/dry. Use LR and a skimmer for your filtration. Use mostly base rock and seed it with LR. After 6 months it's hard to tell the difference between them.

Read the articles here, and look at the stickies at the beggining of the sw forums for some good begginners posts.

Come back and ask questions often.

The starting point after you get your tank filled with RO/DI Saltwater would be to add uncured live rock and cure it inside of your tank. Whatever dies off on the rocks during shipping makes a great ammonia source to jumpstart the cycling process.

The starting point after you get your tank filled with RO/DI Saltwater would be to add uncured live rock and cure it inside of your tank. Whatever dies off on the rocks during shipping makes a great ammonia source to jumpstart the cycling process.

(y)

Back
Top Bottom