75 gallon with angelfish maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Omelet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was planning to set up my 75 gallon with something like this:

4 angelfish
2 of 3 different kinds of gourami
6 filament barbs
Some sort of bottom dweller(pictus catfish maybe?)

Well then I remembered that gourami are a lot like Bettas so I researched them and they apparently will attack each other so those are out.

I read that if you have more than 2 angelfish then the pairs will fight each other. Now I am a bit skeptical of this because I have seen plenty of tanks with 4+ adult angelfish together The tank would have visual barriers ,even in the upper levels of the water column if that matters. I am going to be very disappointed if you can only have two :(

Then the barbs apparently need strong water flow ,which I do not want to do. I like their medium size and the way they look however. Something between 3-4 inches to school in the tank would be nice if the lack of current really is a must have for the barbs.

A few years ago when I was last doing aquariums I had fire-mouths with pictus catfish and a few other things but would like to try a new center piece fish. So no rainbowfish, no fire-mouths, and I would like (for the center piece fish) that it can be kept as a pair(or small group).

Sorry that my post is all over the place ,but I hope someone can help me with stocking this tank.

You can keep a group of male angels together. Pairs will get aggressive and all females will sometimes pair up and lay infertile eggs and get aggressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 12 pearl gouramis in my 180.
Even in groups of 3 I have not seen aggression with the pearls.

I have 12 pearl gouramis in my 180.
Even in groups of 3 I have not seen aggression with the pearls.

Wow! That is so cool! I have 5 pearls in my 55 gallon and love them. Sorry for stealing here.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Their is no reliable way to sex the angelfish from what I understand?

They pearls are fine in a group you say? If you mix other gourami species will their be a problem?

To 100% sex angels you or someone needs to see them breeding(or at breeding time) to 'vent 'them(only real way to tell).

Gouramis are a tough fish in general IMO.
The pearls are the calmest IMO.
Other gouramis may cause trouble.
Also to be noted with gouramis is that are large waste creators for their size.
I bred my pearls in my 180 and am 'working' on more now.

Back
Top Bottom