75 gallons worth of ich...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michellev512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So after having to switch out a 75 gallon due to a possible crack, I believe the stress of the move has caused an ich outbreak in my tank. I have plants and a goby who is heat sensitive so I am hesitant to do salt and heat treatment.
I've started dosing this am with kordon ich attack...7 teaspoons. It says it can tanks 5 weeks to treat!! Is this correct???

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've only ever done the heat method, so I am not sure about using medicine and salt. I hope someone comes and answers your question soon! My 45g cracked so I'm moving fish around too. :p

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

I would use the heat message straight up. 86 degrees should do it. Keep the temp up for a few weeks.

I would use the heat message straight up. 86 degrees should do it. Keep the temp up for a few weeks.

I agree, use the heat method. Your plants and goby will be fine in the two weeks the heat is increased, just adjust slowly like 1 degree every hour.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So are you saying up the temp and medicate?? Or just heat??

1 of my threadfin rainbows is struggling this am. Swimming circles and rapid breathing....

I'm about to do a large water change...

Well I'm trying everything. Raising temp slowly, 1/2 dose of salt, 1/2 dose of med.

My threadfin died before I finished my water change...?

Just the heat. Combining all three is going to be extremely stressful.

Not all fish can handle the heat. I have lost a few while trying it, so if you don't think you have fish who can handle the heat, I wouldn't risk it. Not all fish can adjust to temps that high, even when the temp is raised slowly!
Meds are definitely the way to go if you can't do heat/salt. The theory behind the heat/salt is that the ich can't live in temps above 86 degrees when it is in its free swimming stage. The change in salinity may or may not disrupt the cell walls of the ich and may or may not further their demise. I have seen some pretty mixed evidence about it, but I wouldn't bother with the salt if there is no heat. The heat speeds up the life cycle which accelerates treatment, but without that acceleration salt is not going to help you out any with the time frame.
5 weeks might be right, but it depends. Even heat can take varying amounts of time. Just treat until the ich is gone and then a bit after that. Lower the water level to circulate more oxygen in the water. Hopefully all this happens sooner rather than later. I have used ich attack in the past and it was more like 3.5 weeks for me, but it depends. If the fish look pretty bad, I suggest upping to a harsher treatment like Rid Ich (if you can find it) or something similar.

Not all fish can handle the heat. I have lost a few while trying it, so if you don't think you have fish who can handle the heat, I wouldn't risk it. Not all fish can adjust to temps that high, even when the temp is raised slowly!
Meds are definitely the way to go if you can't do heat/salt. The theory behind the heat/salt is that the ich can't live in temps above 86 degrees when it is in its free swimming stage. The change in salinity may or may not disrupt the cell walls of the ich and may or may not further their demise. I have seen some pretty mixed evidence about it, but I wouldn't bother with the salt if there is no heat. The heat speeds up the life cycle which accelerates treatment, but without that acceleration salt is not going to help you out any with the time frame.
5 weeks might be right, but it depends. Even heat can take varying amounts of time. Just treat until the ich is gone and then a bit after that. Lower the water level to circulate more oxygen in the water. Hopefully all this happens sooner rather than later. I have used ich attack in the past and it was more like 3.5 weeks for me, but it depends. If the fish look pretty bad, I suggest upping to a harsher treatment like Rid Ich (if you can find it) or something similar.

Which fish did you lose and how quickly did you increase the heat? Even goldfish and hillstream loaches do fine with 86 degree temperatures for the two weeks. Ich can live in 86, it can't reproduce though so once those parasites end their life cycle there won't be anymore. It's above 89.5 that the parasites can't live.

Medications take longer due to the fact that they are only effective when the ich is in the free floating stage. Most medications will request you to raise the temperature to 82 to increase the speed of the life cycle.

Like angel said, be sure to increase the amount of oxygen in the tank as both the heat or medication route will rob the tank of oxygen.

Temp is only at 81 right now. 1 degree every 2 hours...

I've got a penguin 350 besides my canister...so I think my o2 is good

It was a threadfin rainbow. They and 2 neons are the only ones in the tank with spots. Not even the clown loaches have spots...

Well the fish sure are pissy...everybody's chasing each other like they are aggravated. This is miserable :(

Back
Top Bottom