A bit of sad news :( Advice wanted please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
This morning went to go do a small wc and noticed a dead oto in the tank :(

I am pretty sure I know why this happened BUT I didn't think it would cause the fish to die. Here is the background story.

About a day and a half ago I noticed one the same oto that died a 3-4mm gash on the side of his/her head/face. right side. The flesh was pure white when I first saw it and must of just happened. I believe the cause of this was the piece of slate I used to attack a piece of cucumber to, it did have a sharp side to it. I don't know how else the gash would of happened outside of this.

The fish seemed fish that day and yesterday I was gone all day and didn't have a chance to check on the fish. But by the smell of it this morning I would assume it had been dead for a while. maybe sometime yesterday.

So my question is would a pretty big gash be able to kill the fish so quickly? I have since removed the piece of stone and replaced it was a smooth rounded stone. All other fish are fine.

Let me know what you guys think.

Probably. Imagine running across a knife, that slides across your entire body. Would you die without any treatment while still getting attacked by bigger humans?

Well your making it sound very severe, it was a small gash in his face. I just thought it could heal up.

Oh on its face, sorry. Misread the siZe of the scratch... Eh, oto's are known to be pretty sensitive, just try to avoid sharp decorations

So this morning I woke up and went to check on my tank as I always do, I immediately notice an otos with a chuck missing from his tail end of his body. Top of the body way back right before the tail.

Since the other incident which I originally thought it was caused by a sharp rock I have removed it and there is no other shape things in the tank.

I am now starting to turn my attention to my big pearl gouramis... I am suspecting one of them as the culprit. I really didn't think they would bother the otos but in both cases the incident occurred overnight, so I really have no clue.

He is now in a breeder net in the tank with his own food. I dunno if he will make it. Again I am really upset at the idea of losing my oto.

Do you guys think my theory is correct? How else could something like this happen?

What else is in the tank? A ram and cardnals?? That sounds pretty bad man., I'd say otos would have a tougher skin than one would think, they are catfish after all.. I'm not familiar with gouramis but I've heard they can get nasty when provoked..

1 smaller ram and 25 cards. The thing is my gouramis are not that aggressive at all.

I don't see how else this could happen.

The first otos with the face injury died shortly after.

The otos from last night has been in the fry net and I have been at work all day. Heading home to see if he is still alive.

I am thinking about rehoming all my healthy otos before they face the same demise.

Might make more sense to remove the culprit rather than the victim.. Once it's current target is gone it could turn it's attention on sonething else???

The thing is I don't know who it is. I am suspecting pearl but I have 4 and I never see it.

How about you revoke all of the Otos to a small cheap tank for now, if nothing happens then suspect it's something that the Otos are doing, they may be fighting, if a cardinal or the ram gets any injuries the re home the gouramis and return the Otos, sounds like effort but it's something's life to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom